PDA

View Full Version : Running Windows 98SE & Windows XP on same machine

Rayj
29-05-2004, 12:21 AM
I have a 40gb hardrive partitioned in 2 drives C & D. 20 gigs each.
I run Windows XP Home at present but some games I have won't run on XP, they used to run on Windows 98

How can I run Win98 on drive D and Windows XP on C

Can you please explain in detail so I can follow you directions and install 98SE

Mike
29-05-2004, 12:24 AM
I'm not too sure that Win98 will run from drive D (well not easily anyway). However you can get WinXP to run from D, and it'll even install a boot loader so you can choose which one to boot from.

However to do this you'll need to have Win98 installed on C first, and once that is installed completely you then install XP on the other drive. It'll detect the other OS and allow you to dual-boot.

Mike.

beama
29-05-2004, 12:33 AM
Ray
have you tried running those games in compatiblty mode
right click on program icon choose properties, click on compatiblty tabput a tick in the box next to " run this program in compatiblty mode for"
then select your os from the drop down below that

JohnD
29-05-2004, 12:34 AM
With a bit of fiddling you should be able to get things going without reinstalling XP - but both OS's would need to be on the first HDD.

1. Use (say) Partition Magic to make a second primary partition on HDD1.
2. Install Win98 - this will over write the mbr with the Win98 boot loader making XP temporarily unavailable.
3. Use the XP recovery console to recover the NT boot loader.
4. Edit boot.ini to add in Win 98 as a boot option.

Alternatively to points 3 and 4, you could install a free boot loader such as www.xosl.org.

More details could be provided if you decide to try this way.

JohnD
29-05-2004, 12:39 AM
Sorry - didn't quite read properly - you have one drive partitioned. Your d: probably is in a extended partition as a logical drive - would need to be changed to a primary partition for Win98.