PDA

View Full Version : shortcut icon arrows

karent
28-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi all
Can someone please explain to me in non-technical terms how I can get rid of the arrows that appear on my desktop shortcuts? Thanks.

godfather
28-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Non technical terms? Only way I can suggest in non technical terms is careful use of Twink on the screen ...

Or, in semi technical terms try:

To remove those shortcut arrows from your desktop icons in Windows XP:

1) Start REGEDIT.
2) Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile
3) Delete the IsShortcut registry value.
4) Restart Windows XP.

Usual cautions apply. Back up everything critical. If the Registry gets corrupted accidentally, then its serious.

Murray P
28-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Pretty sure TweakUI and Xsetup can both remove shortcut arrows.

Cheers Murray P

godfather
28-05-2004, 03:04 PM
But:

That doesn't seem to be a vaild key in all versions?

Download and use TweakUI (it should be an option) may be less stressful.

Terry Porritt
28-05-2004, 06:32 PM
If the option in TweakUI to have no arrows doesnt work, then its possible that one of the MS security updates has changed the shell32.dll file (where the icons are stored including the arrow), and it prevents the registry entry controlling the arrows from working.

This was a problem particularly with Win98, but I think it also affects other OS.

The resolution is a bit of a geeks fiddle, requiring a transparent icon of the same size as the arrow to be made, then a hex editor to insert it into the shell32.dll file.

There is info on how to do this on Axcel216's Max Speed page, Windows98/98SE Tricks & Secrets Part 5, the section to find is called "Patched Shell32.dll Bug & Fix".

http://www.mdgx.com/

It is a bug that MS must know about ,but has never rectified.

If the MS Windows Security Update CD is used, we could well get new crops of this fault arising

R2x1
28-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Or, for the wimp's way, just go to Iolo (http://www.iolo.com/downloads.cfm) and get System Mechanic free trial, it does a lot of other good stuff too. If you like it, buy it, otherwise, you have a month to try it out.

Cheers, R2

Susan B
28-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Personally I like to have those shortcut arrows to indicate that the icon is actually a shortcut and not a file.

It is a bit of a pain when you go to delete what you think is a shortcut without realising that it is actually a file and you have held down Shift for it to bypass the Recycle Bin..... ooops!! :O

Terry Porritt
28-05-2004, 08:13 PM
But then, I seldom if ever, have files on my desktop :)

Growly
29-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Ew, files on desktop....

Yeah i used tweakui... with service packs andupdates...

but not recently.