PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Overclocking the Pentium M

Lohsing
28-05-2004, 10:54 AM
I was very impressed reading about it here (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.x86-secret.com%2Farticles%2Fcpu%2Fdothan%2Fdothan-6.htm&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools).

It seems that a Pentium M 2.0 Dothan was overclocked to 2.4!! What's more, the site claims a Dothan running at 2.4GHz with single DDR 333 memory can compete favourably with the Athlon 64 Socket 939 at the same clock speed using dual DDR 400!

Worth a look at the very least.... ;)

Lo.

the highlander
28-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Evil translation but very impressive, loved the heatsink mod.

I loved this quote "would find derriere" which I think translates to the amd getting its a#s whupped by the M.

Lohsing
28-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Lol! Can you imagine running the laptop with that kind of heatsink??

Just makes you wonder why this kind of technology isn't introduced into the current P4 range of CPU's for desktops...

Lo.

the highlander
28-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Because Joe Public wouldn't buy them when he can get a celeron 2800 which is obviously faster :-)
I got asked to upgrade a a system from a northwood 2.4 to a celeron 2800 last week. His logic : he had a mate who he could con into buying his northwood for the price of a shiny new celeron 2800 so the " upgrade would cost him nothing and he gets a faster cpu !!! I spent 30 minutes tryng to convince this guy that it was not a great idea and he seemed to go away convinced.
I learned later he got someone else to do it.

Lohsing
28-05-2004, 01:54 PM
What is the major difference between a P4 and a Pentium M?? I thought it was the L2 cache with the PM having much more than the P4?

In which case, what's the difference between the Extreme Edition and the Pentium M??

Lo.

kiki
28-05-2004, 02:32 PM
> What is the major difference between a P4 and a Pentium M??

Clockspeed, cache and optimisations.

> In which case, what's the difference between the Extreme Edition and the Pentium M??

Clockspeed again, some more cache in the EE I think and some very good optimisations, price as well ;)