PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth PIN number & printing

Muzza
27-05-2004, 10:56 PM
I have set up a bluetooth dongle & software on my PC to be able to communicate with my Notebook (it already is Bluetooth enabled). I am prompted for a PIN number when trying to access files on the linked computer but can not see where this PIN number is initially set up on both machines. Nor can I work out how to access the printer on my PC from the Notebook.
Any suggestions as the installation notes do not help.??

skinnerjack
27-05-2004, 11:46 PM
there may be two issues here, a pin number is issued with the bluetooth device, maybe in the manual or floating around in box on a piece of paper or card.

also you may try entering your own pin number ie 1234 on both devices so they can sync. ( although how you enter this pin on the printer may be tricky without an lcd screen and some function keys ?)

good luck

Blue_face
28-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Last time I brought a bluetooth device (headset) it contains a built in pin number on a small card in the package, and there is no way I can use the device without giving the correct pin.

Maybe you should search carefully in your boxes and look for that number.

Mike
29-05-2004, 12:20 AM
I use bluetooth to transfer files between my phone and my PC. When I initiate a connection from the PC it asks me to enter a PIN number - I make one up. When I've done that my phone asks me to enter in the PIN number I had just set on the PC. Once the phone and the PC verify they've both received the same PIN number, the connection takes place.

Its just a security measure so that somebody walking past can't connect into your PC/phone/whatever.

If I wanted, I could use a different number every time I wanted to establish a connection between the two - I don't have a pre-set PIN that I have to use.

Mike.

Mike
29-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Incidentally, this doesn't seem to work correctly if I initiate the connection from the phone - the PC never then asks me to verify the PIN (and so the phone tells me a connection couldn't be established). But that's not a problem - it works fine the other way.

Mike.

Muzza
30-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks Mike..tried that and it works. No mention of that in either notebook setup or dongle setup!!!!

Mike
30-05-2004, 07:36 PM
> Thanks Mike..tried that and it works. No mention of
> that in either notebook setup or dongle setup!!!!

Glad to help :) I bought a new bluetooth dongle the other day, and somehow managed to understand that bit from the manual (it was quite difficult to understand :))

Mike.