PDA

View Full Version : bogus re-direction

stukiwi
27-05-2004, 08:54 PM
Over the past few days we have noticed the following happening
When we put the curser over a hyperlink the link has been changed to the following:
www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=News&v=56

This is the only site or place that comes up
the site seems harmless enough but is very annoying.

Is it a virus or some thing.
At about the same time our son loaded Kazaa. Would this have inserted something??

HELP!

stu120404
27-05-2004, 09:00 PM
> Is it a virus or some thing.
> At about the same time our son loaded Kazaa. Would
> this have inserted something??

I think you got a browser highjack have a look at this FAQ: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=41858

Hope this helps :) , if not post back here

godfather
27-05-2004, 09:02 PM
You have been infected with adware, spyware and who knows what else.

(With Kazaa running on the PC, its like going out for the day and leaving your door wide open and the lights on, with a "help yourself" sign out)

You should download AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy. Google will give you suitable download links, they are free applications to sweep the PC clean of the dross.

Unfortunately you will probably not be able to keep it that way if you use Kazaa.

Murray P
27-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Kazaa is an excellent vector for virus's, malaware and hijackers, the latter seems to be what you have.

Is your anti-virus up to date anyway?

Give Spybot S&E and Adaware a run and see what they come up with. Check out the PF1 FAQ's (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/faq.jsp?forum=1) especially # 8 by Susan B.

Cheers Murray P

stukiwi
27-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Cheers! Got it fixed thanks to Spybot. Ran Ad--Aware but could not find prob.
Yes could not have had brain engaged when I OKed Kazaa!! as I knew about its "problems"

Jester
28-05-2004, 12:23 AM
> (With Kazaa running on the PC, its like going out for
> the day and leaving your door wide open and the
> lights on, with a "help yourself" sign out)

Only if you agree to let them in (by selecting to download and run dodgy files before checking). The biggest virus is the 'user'.

Use Kazaa Lite instead, I haven't had any spyware / viruses etc in the year or so that I have used it. It's a bit hard to find now, but I have uploaded it to my web site if you want it (2.7megs) - can let you know the url if required.

J
:D

Murray P
28-05-2004, 12:49 AM
My son and daughter were using Kazaa Lite and managed to bag a few beauties. Mainly through the lad downloading game files it seems. Not on my machine though.

Cheers Murray P

Jester
28-05-2004, 12:57 AM
Yep Murray, it really depends on who is doing the download, in so far as whether they are looking for, perhaps, somewhat dodgy copies of software like games. These would seem to be targets for others to insert 'extra' features like viruses.

Personally I use it for music videos and older music mp3 downloads (got some beaut Chas n Dave songs for me mum the other day - anyone know of these East London lads?).

Many new music files are now also corrupt, with nothing malicious, but they make screeching noises when played. For that reason K Lite is on my PC only, and not the kid's. They ask me if they want me to look for something, and I can then review what's out there and make the decision on whether to download it or not.

Kids don't always think further ahead than "let's get this for free!!!!"

Like most things on the net these days, especially if the buyer isn't paying anything - Caveat Emptor.

J
:D

Laura
28-05-2004, 01:42 AM
Do you mean Flanagan & Allen, Jester?

(Dave?) Flanagan & Chesney Allen....

Theme song for "Dad's Army," plus Underneath The Arches etc...

Or are there other East End lads?

Laura
28-05-2004, 01:44 AM
Nope. Now I remember - it was Bud Flanagan.