PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of posting catergories

Scouse
27-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Hi Folks.
Idle moment.... what purpose is served by the six categories listed at the start of a new posting? Is there some sort or filter system? The "You must choose a category" command before the posting is accepted seems odd.

Graham L
27-05-2004, 05:35 PM
You want a purpose?:| This is a computer system.;-)

It's probably just one of those things which seemed a good idea at the time. I suspect the basic code to include this was in the standard forum software, and it was easier to leave it in than to take it out.

It's been discussed a few times ... the forum is not "big" enough to be split into multiple streams, and people would find it a pain to switch between streams anyway. Apart from that, the categories selected will be wrong :D.

Bill Boolean
27-05-2004, 05:41 PM
I agree. What the f@*ck's the point of that!

Graham L
27-05-2004, 05:43 PM
You want a point?:| This is a computer system. ;-)

metla
The forum should imo be broken down into operating systems,the amount of posts would easily warrent it.

Windows 98/me
Windows XP/2000
Linux
Off Topic

Scouse
>>You want a purpose This is a computer system.<<

No No No - I didn't say I wanted a purpose.....

metla
27-05-2004, 05:44 PM
And

Buy and sell :D

marke
27-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Hi There -

Graham's partly right ... it was something that seemed like a good idea at the time. The thinking was that categorising postings would potentially allow a number of things:

1) We could do digest emails for each category .. so you could set yourselves up a weekly or monthly email summary of all the posts in a particular category

2) You could "filter" the results of searches etc to just those posts in a particular category

3) It would potentially allow "channelising" of posts (rather than seperate forums ... which I too am not in favour of) i.e you could view just the hardware posts, or just the software ones if you wished.

We didn't add these features in at the time because at that stage of course the forum was new, and there weren't the postings to justify it.

Would be interested to hear if you guys think there would be some merit in some of these options. And what you think the categories ought to be?

Mark Evans
CTO & Online Business Manager
IDG Communications Ltd

Capt.Hook
27-05-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm quite satisfied with the way things are, and don't see the need to change anything.
This is just my opinion.

Susan B
27-05-2004, 08:08 PM
I would rather the forum be left as it is, thank you.

A lot of people would get confused about which category their thread ought to go in and thus threads will end up in places where they shouldn't be.

I really hope that this forum's homepage never gets sectioned into different categories like the big overseas sites are, it is hard enough keeping up with everything now. In fact the way that it is is one of its big advantages - it's manageable. ;-)

Murray P
27-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Ditto to the two previous posts.

Sometimes getting the right info takes a little time and some questions. That'ed be complicated if posts ended up in the wrong categories. Sometimes things can't be categorised so neatly as hardware or software so while the software guru is trying to help in one topic the hardware guru has missed it because its in the wrong category. Some people have no idea what the problem is or how to categorise it so of course your also going to have to have general or misc' categories.

It ain't so broke that it requires a fix. The seach funtion would be handy though.

Cheers Murray P

JJJJJ
27-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Leave things as they are. Variety is the spice of life.
Or alternatively remove the list altogether. I always forget to click one.
Jack

JJJJJ
27-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Talking of removing. Why not get rid of log on names and passwords.
What purpose do they serve?
Jack

Chilling_Silence
28-05-2004, 02:50 AM
I find Im the opposite of Jack, I click General Discussion no matter what coz it just takes to long to think about what Im doing :p

> Talking of removing. Why not get rid of log on names
> and passwords.
> What purpose do they serve?
They are the spice of life! The source of our crashes.... ;-)

Biggles
28-05-2004, 09:37 AM
>I agree. What the f@*ck's the point of that!

Watch it Bill, you're not in Havana now.

marke
28-05-2004, 10:20 AM
I thought that was "Guatemala"??

marke
28-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Hi Jack (ooops .. that's probably going to be traced by the US!) ;-0

The purpose of the registration is so that we can enable things like "watches" (so you get notified of posts etc), and to prevent "casual" (and expletive-ridden) postings from kids

... OK so it doesn't stop someone if they are really determined ... they can create themselves a username and password ... but at least that way we can keep some tabs on what gets posted. And if people are abusive and/or libellous we can then take some action to prevent it from happening again.

Mark Evans
CTO & Online Business Manager
IDG Communications Ltd

Scouse
28-05-2004, 11:53 AM
Hey folks. Whoa there...... All this travel stuff in the Americas, bad behaviour and language - we're veering away from my simple questions of why and what purpose, etc. The categories (sorry for the mis-spelling in the initial header). I simply keep tripping over the damn thing. Type up the posting, no matter how irrelevant, ready to go, hit Post Message, and get bitten by the "no category" rejection. Is it too late to have the program default if no selection made?

Susan B
28-05-2004, 12:50 PM
> I simply keep tripping over the damn thing. Type up the posting, no matter how irrelevant, ready to go, hit Post Message, and get bitten by the "no category" rejection.

It happens to me a lot as well. Sometimes takes me a minute to work out why a thread will refuse to post until I finally see what it is whining about. :D

marke
28-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Hmmm ... checks profile, sees Susan B has made well over 4000 posts (which must be close to a record). Grins! Thinks ... one day she'll learn.

:-q

Mark

metla
28-05-2004, 01:06 PM
We are hoping she will get the hang of it around post 6000....]:)

beetle
28-05-2004, 01:12 PM
:)

but also i dont think Susan's at the the top of the posting score......record or no record...... fairly close id say but not number 1 position yet.....

too much broom riding, and spells and potion making with the cauldron....instead of helping others at pf1 :p

luv's ya mum :D

beetle

marke
28-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Interesting question that ... wonder who is at the top of the list? I'll see what I can find out.

Mark

godfather
28-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Hmmm...I wonder who?

beetle
28-05-2004, 01:32 PM
ROFLMAO Goddie,

Subtle as ever G????

have a nice day all.

:D
beetle

Susan B
28-05-2004, 01:38 PM
> Hmmm ... checks profile, sees Susan B has made well
> over 4000 posts (which must be close to a record).
> Grins! Thinks ... one day she'll learn.
>
> :-q
>
> Mark

:p

OK Mark, go find out how many threads I have actually STARTED and you might see why I sometimes get a bit lost. ;-) :D

beetle
28-05-2004, 01:47 PM
So SB youre saying there could have been more if you remember to click a catergory first????

;)

beetle

Susan B
28-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Beetle!! You're supposed to be on my side! :D

beetle
28-05-2004, 01:55 PM
MUM! tis ok...... i am......

im on any side i dont get yelled at side....:D

i have enough stress and excitment in my life without adding any more...

beetle