PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Power Supply

metla
27-05-2004, 02:38 PM
By any chance does anyone know if any company in NZ carries replacement PSU's for Compaq gear?

Do Compaq themselves sell these items?

Anyone have an idea of a ballpark figure?

Cheers.

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Compaq sold me a PSU for a Laptop, so I dont see why they wouldnt for their desktop range either.

Things may be different now with the HP / Compaq merge.

Can you not use a Stock PSU? Even a standard SFF PSU if need be?

Chill.

metla
27-05-2004, 02:48 PM
Proprietary is the reason i can't use an off the shelf product,The Mobo connector on this demon is all dutch to me.

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2004, 03:02 PM
In that case you should just be able to give Compaq / HP a ring and quote the type of PC you have. They shipped mine out to me and it arrived next day (Friend paid by Credit-Card).

Chill.

CYaBro
27-05-2004, 03:26 PM
I usually get replacements from Visual Electronics in Auckland
Ph: 0-9-415 0120

falvrez
27-05-2004, 03:32 PM
I got a replacement PS for an old celeron 300 HP Brio desktop PC...price? A mere $225 (+GST). I said no but the guy who owns the PC said yes (and so we got one).
IMO a waste of money on an old machine.
Generic PS was no go - checked that first up.

metla
27-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the replies people,Problem sorted.

drcspy
28-05-2004, 06:53 AM
compaq psu's are shockingly expensive I was once quoted $198+gst for one so I got clever and used a 'generic' psu which wouldn't quite fit the 'hole' in the case...with a little judicious use of a hacksaw it fitted very nicely and saved about $150 into the bargain lol.........proprietry grrrrrr

Billy T
28-05-2004, 03:08 PM
A couple of years ago I "reverse-engineered" a spare (read: inorganic rubbish collection) Compaq PSU into a standard PC by cutting the MB plug off the dead psu and reconnecting up all the wires. It wasn't hard to sort out what was what, and since the Compaq lead was too short anyway the extension worked well.

The psu is still going strong, and as a bonus it had a huge and very quiet fan. If you can get a mechanical fit I don't see why a standard PSU can't be installed into a Compaq computer.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

paulw
28-05-2004, 04:19 PM
The problem with Compaq PSUs are that they are not a standard size PSUs. I had to buy 2 the other week for Deskpros that had the PSU go dead on power up. They are only rated at a lowly 145 wats. I tried to get an off the shelf but the PSUs was too small. Cost $98 + GST each from Futronics for replacements. That's the problem with "named" brand systems...