PDA

View Full Version : Best free AV for a large network?

Billy T
26-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Hi Team

Are there any restrictions on network use for free AV programs (such as AVG), or any technical limitations to their use.

I ask the question on behalf of a school that is finding NAV costs crippling and would like to try something cheaper or free.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

johnboy
26-05-2004, 10:42 PM
This from Avg License agreement

Important notices
AVG Free Edition is available in English language only.

AVG Free Edition offer is valid for all SINGLE HOME users only.

AVG Free Edition CAN NOT BE INSTALLED ON SERVERS FOR ANY REASON. IT CAN NOT BE INSTALLED IN ANY NETWORKED ENVIRONMENT!

NO TECHNICAL SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE WITH AVG Free Edition.

Further, we offer a free download of a trial versions of AVG Anti-Virus 7.0 for evaluation purposes WITH technical support.

JohnD
26-05-2004, 10:43 PM
AVG has a limitation on it which (I suspect) will be similar for most free AV programs - free for personal use, one copy only and not to be used on LANs. In my experience, this license requirement seems to be abused quite often.

tweak\'e
26-05-2004, 10:59 PM
i will be a barstard and say that they should either get used to the cost or mayby change to a cheaper AV program.

sorry i have no idea about sever setups tho i would imagen that the server would download the updates and all the pc's would update of it. trying to do that with AVG free would be a pain. you would have to update each pc manually or make some kind of script to make AVG update off the server. with a small network (eg home or a few classrooms) then manually updateing it would be ok, but a big network is just begging for problems.

Billy T
26-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Ah well, I guessed as much, but it was worth the ask.

I suppose it could still be used for staff laptops when off-line (at home), and rely on the Network AV when on line, though how you could stop AVG (for example) scanning the files transferred from the server when on line I'm not quite sure. They would want to be operating legally.

Sounds like the concept is getting complicated. :(

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Wayne H
26-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Try NOD that is cheaper & better than NAV and they do charity and educational pricig that is about 40% of comercial
for a list of resellers in your area contact geoff at chillisoft we are a reseller but as part of the forum I wont say where I work unless asked by poster for more info.

beama
26-05-2004, 11:40 PM
billy email me beama_1 at hotmail.com

JohnD
26-05-2004, 11:46 PM
I haven't tried it but Bitdefender might have an economic solution for education
http://www.bitdefender.com/index.php?tab=4

--- BUT hasn't the MofEd released a AV for schools at no cost to schools? See:

http://www.tki.org.nz/r/ict/helpdesk/anti_virus_e.php

beama
26-05-2004, 11:53 PM
dont worry about the email heres a link to MOE site virus software for schools (http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?layout=document&documentid=9323&indexid=9320&indexparentid=1024)

Murray P
27-05-2004, 12:08 AM
And just in case the school is the Independent type FAQ # 9 from the MOE:

What about Independent schools?
Independent schools are able to purchase the software at the same price the Ministry of Education has negotiated with IBM. This is similar to the provisions in the current Microsoft agreement. Independent schools should visit http://www.independent.school.nz/contactus/index.html and ask how to register for the eTrust Antivirus software through the Ministry of Education's deal with IBM.

Cheers Murray P

tweak\'e
27-05-2004, 12:08 AM
i'm going to have to eat my own words here a little but i think i have found how to make AVG free autoupdate over the network. share the update file folder and then check out the url.ini in grisoft directory ;-)

i havn't fully tested it so let me know if it continues to work or not :)

beama
27-05-2004, 12:25 AM
tried that one tweake not too successfull,<tease> but you are on the right track</tease>

whiskeytangofoxtrot
27-05-2004, 02:24 AM
ClamAV - free and open source.

Their site: http://www.clamav.net/
The W32 Client: http://www.clamwin.net/

I am involved with Clam-AV in a production environment where it is scanning 200,000 + e-mails per day on a mail server. It is markedly better than the several $k per annum paid software previously employed.

Susan B
27-05-2004, 09:52 AM
> i'm going to have to eat my own words here a little but i think i have found how to make AVG free autoupdate over the network. share the update file folder and then check out the url.ini in grisoft directory ;-)

But their Terms and Conditions specifically exclude the free version of AVG from being used on networks. It is also supposed to be for personal use only. :|

Susan B
27-05-2004, 09:58 AM
> It is also supposed to be for personal use only.

Or non-commercial organization computer protection only.

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2004, 10:16 AM
WTF>
ClamWin looks great!
Just downloaded and installed it.

Its very straight-forward, clean, efficient... Thanks for putting me onto it!

Chill.

Billy T
27-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Well, we are definitely talking non-commercial here!!

This is another grossly underfunded state school that is desperately trying to make a dollar buy more than 90 cents worth of goods and services.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will pass them on. NAV will probably stay on the network, but individual laptops could use a free program and update on-line at home. If they didn't have a home connection they wouldn't need AV because everything they collect from the network is protected by NAV.

I think you can probably read between the lines and see where the problem lies. :| Anybody remember the post I put up recently about Spybot & Adaware? The one where I found 215 nasties on a laptop?

Nuff said.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Billy>
Im with WTF here, try ClamWin!

whiskeytangofoxtrot
27-05-2004, 11:28 AM
> This is another grossly underfunded state school that
> is desperately trying to make a dollar buy more than
> 90 cents worth of goods and services.

> individual laptops could use a free program and
> update on-line at home. If they didn't have a home

So this is a grossly underfunded state school that can afford individual laptops for their staff mebmbers.... that makes perfect sense.

Billy T
27-05-2004, 12:58 PM
I do wish you wouldn't be so snaky WTF, it can be really tiresome. :(

Haven't you heard of the "Laptops for Teachers" program implemented by the government? The laptops are leased, not purchased and in our case the staff are paying the lease costs from their own pockets. Despite the not inconsiderable expense, there has been a better than 90% take-up on the offer. An apology of some sort might be in order here, but somehow I doubt that I will see one.

Moving along, thank you for the advice re-Clamwin, that could be of immense help to the school and I do appreciate your bringing it to my attention. Software licence costs are a major problem, even at educational prices.

All I have to do now is persuade the IT manager to take a look at it. I guess planning and implementing the migration would be a significant exercise so I won't hold my breath for a rapid changeover.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
27-05-2004, 01:40 PM
> but somehow I doubt that I will see one.

You'd be right, why should I apologise to you for expressing an opinion? Particularly after another one of your refreshingly self-appreciating dressing downs.

> All I have to do now is persuade the IT manager to

Umm and if they have an IT manager, who is getting paid, why are you investigating this for them? Surely he/she should be doing their own job.

KingWave
27-05-2004, 02:15 PM
:^O On fire today WTF! :^O

Jim B
27-05-2004, 03:24 PM
> Anybody remember the
> post I put up recently about Spybot & Adaware? The
> one where I found 215 nasties on a laptop?
>
> Nuff said.
>
> Cheers
>
> Billy 8-{)

If there was not such a strong bios against Macs at your school (wonder where that comes from ) the teachers under the Laptops for Schools program had the option to choose Apple iBooks and had they done so Spyware, Adaware and Viruses would all be a non issue.

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Building on what Jim has said, why not look into Alternative Operating systems where Viruses are not an issue?

Billy T
27-05-2004, 06:51 PM
It would be a nice idea chill, but it is hard enough to bring teachers new to computing up to speed with a common system without trying to convert the old ones. They are there to teach, not to learn operating systems.

We don't actually have a virus problem at present, it is more of a precautionary measure to prevent problems. Same for Macs, the school is an almost 100% PC environment and to introduce a pile of Macs would have added to the IT dept load. We have inadequate funds to staff it to the optimum level as it is.

Another reason for avoiding Macs is that we can buy several very well spec'd ex-corporate pcs for the price of one Mac, and we don't need super computing power for the majority of our computers, just enough grunt for classroom activities. Wherever power is needed we have hi-spec PCs, and there are a few hi-spec Macs in the graphics area for those who need them as well.

I'm keen to see ClamWin trialled though, that would make for good savings that can be channelled elsewhere.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2004, 07:01 PM
> It would be a nice idea chill, but it is hard enough
> to bring teachers new to computing up to speed with a
> common system without trying to convert the old ones.
> They are there to teach, not to learn operating
> systems.
Of course, but surely taking along a copy of Xandros 2.0 Standard Edition to show your IT man would be a nice idea ;-)

> We don't actually have a virus problem at present, it
> is more of a precautionary measure to prevent
> problems.
Better safe than sorry!

>Same for Macs, the school is an almost
> 100% PC environment and to introduce a pile of Macs
> would have added to the IT dept load. We have
> inadequate funds to staff it to the optimum level as
> it is.
And again it means re-learning a lot because of the different look / feel for starters

> Another reason for avoiding Macs is that we can buy
> several very well spec'd ex-corporate pcs for the
> price of one Mac, and we don't need super computing
> power for the majority of our computers, just enough
> grunt for classroom activities.
I never did quite work out why a lot of schools used to go for Mac's when they've always costed around 3-4x what you can build one for....?

> I'm keen to see ClamWin trialled though, that would
> make for good savings that can be channelled
> elsewhere.
I tried it today and installed it on a clients PC. Sadly, it found the Viruses (3x) but didnt remove them? I had to manually delete the one sitting in the Temp Internet Files, and the other two were in System Restore (So they can be forgiven).
WTF>
Have I done something wrong if its not removing them??

Chill.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
27-05-2004, 07:20 PM
> WTF>
> Have I done something wrong if its not removing
> them??

Pass... I haven't used the Windows tool on an infected machine as yet.