PDA

View Full Version : 2 hdds, 2 os, one pc wanting a boot menu

Rpg_pro
26-05-2004, 08:52 PM
I have Two Hard drives, one with Win xp and one with linux, both in one pc. now what i am wondering, is there a boot menu thingy where i can choose what OS to load when i turn on my pc? If so where can i get it and set it up
Thanks

Bam Bam1
26-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Depending on the brand of Linux, you should have a very good bootloader with (usually called Grub or Lilo). Making sure that you install Linux second it should identify that Windows is already installed and include it in the boot loader sequence. Once installed you can then configure which is to be the default OS. There have already been some very good threads on it already so more info if need won't be to hard to find.

Regards

Rpg_pro
26-05-2004, 09:10 PM
I have Linux Mandrake 9.2

JohnD
26-05-2004, 09:46 PM
What exactly is your current situation as far as booting is concerned? e.g. is Windows booting but not Linux?

beama
26-05-2004, 11:02 PM
I had a simular setup on a pc and this is what I did, changed the boot order in the BIOS depending on which OS I whated to use, but a boot loader I agree would be better I was just too lazy at the time to set it up

Rob99
27-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Press F8 when booting and select the HD you want to load from.

Rob

joeflies256
27-05-2004, 02:01 AM
I use a really good program called system commander, it will do just about everything you want with regards to running differnt operating systems/installing/formating etc...

mark.p
27-05-2004, 07:51 AM
http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm

Bam Bam1
27-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Excellent. Leave Windows on your primary drive and reinstall Linux on your secondary. It should then detect Windows and prompt you regarding a bootloader.

Strange that it shouldn't have done so in the first place. Did the hard drives originally belong to separate computers when you installed the operating systems?

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Vearing slightly OT here:
Does Mandrake 9.2 use Lilo or Grub by default???

Bam Bam1
28-05-2004, 04:58 PM
Grub tends to be a text bootloader, while Lilo can be text or graphical. Usually you're faced with the selection when installing (though it's been a while since my last install). I quite like the graphical Lilo though I'm sure there will be a variety of opinions by other F1er's. When the install is carried out, if a Windows boot sector is found then it will replace it with a grub/lilo bootloader. Can't remember which is the default option but usually you have a drop down list which you select the bootloader of choice. Pretty sure "Lilo graphical" is at the top.

dwnz2003
28-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Hi i have done what you want to do, with mandrake 9.2 and windows XP.
Make shure you have installed Windows XP on your first drive to make it easier. Then install Mandrake 9.2 on your secondary drive. When you get near the end of the mandrake setup it shows you a boot menu and you can modify it if u want to. Windows should be in there. When you reboot your computer lilo (by defualt) will show and give you a list ,Linux, something, Windows, Floppy. It should say something like that. Now all you need to do is choose the OS you want to use and it'll boot it.

Daniel

dwnz2003
28-05-2004, 06:01 PM
to Chilling_Silence, it uses Lilo

Daniel

Rpg_pro
02-06-2004, 07:20 PM
hmm i installed when my xp was on master and linux on slave... but when i rebooted instead of a boot menu it came up with like 100 7's and other numbers :\, ill try installing it again soon could of been some random error

beama
02-06-2004, 10:45 PM
the one I learnt (amoung many others when installing RH9 on my dual boot lappy) Install microsoft products first before linux as Microsoft products like to take ownership of the boot sector then insatll linux and choose your boot loader.

Chilling_Silence
03-06-2004, 02:53 AM
Im pretty sure it is still possible to get Linux to load from the Win2K / WinXP Boot Loader....

Its a lot more work, but possible :D

beama
03-06-2004, 07:05 AM
I think its possble also Chill, but havn't managed to get it to work yet and yes it is a lot of work

mark.p
03-06-2004, 07:39 AM
> Im pretty sure it is still possible to get Linux to
> load from the Win2K / WinXP Boot Loader....
>
> Its a lot more work, but possible :D

Hmmm google IS your freind- http://jaeger.morpheus.net/linux/ntldr.php

mark.p
03-06-2004, 08:14 AM
here's another usefull link which includes GRUB-http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html