PDA

View Full Version : OT: Vibrating Alarms

csinclair83
26-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Hey...
As you guys know i'm Deaf, i've been looking for the past week for a vibrating alarm to wake me up in the mornings...
i know they do exist as i used to have one when i was at school but i gave it to a m8 when i left school and that was 2-3 years ago..

I've emailed Deaf Association, and looked at main techy stores here (dicks smith, noel leemings and some clock shops) they say they dont know about them and cannot order them in..

so where do i get them from as I realllllllllllly want/need one for when i start polytech in July....

I know i can order them online from the states but no creditcard and dont really want to with the latest kiwi dollar being naughty against the US dollar..

Can someone help me by telling me where i could get this alarm clock :)

Cheeeeeeeeers

Chris

Biggles
26-05-2004, 03:57 PM
What about this:

http://www.hearwell.co.nz/shop_echo_wake.php

godfather
26-05-2004, 04:00 PM
http://www.deafquip.co.nz/index.php3?prod_no=23945&page=1401

Or, use the alarm clock feature of any mobile phone that has a vibrator alert built in

Graham L
26-05-2004, 04:02 PM
The Adult Toys shop? Or are their vibrators for something else?

robsonde
26-05-2004, 04:02 PM
my a sugest buying a second hand pager that has a vibrating alarm function?

or a cellphone with vibrating alarm??

csinclair83
26-05-2004, 04:04 PM
yes bruce thats the one..well am after one that does what that does..but the price seems abit out of my range lol...but i've booked marked it incase i get desperate and have a bit of savings to use...
would pay off long term with a qualification in my hand ;)
thanks for that bruce :)

robsonde
26-05-2004, 04:05 PM
> http://www.deafquip.co.nz/index.php3?prod_no=23945&pag
> =1401
>
> Or, use the alarm clock feature of any mobile phone
> that has a vibrator alert built in

or for the same thing at a better price...
http://www.auctioncity.co.nz/bid.asp?ID=38671

csinclair83
26-05-2004, 04:05 PM
i've tried with my cellphone as i got it with vibrate and nah its not strong enough as it didnt wake me the other day when i wanted to see the nascars....thank god for a tape recorder that taped it lol..

cellphone doesnt work...

but that travel shakeawake mite be the solution..or is it not strong enough either as i can be quite a heavy sleeper...

csinclair83
26-05-2004, 04:07 PM
better price there...but smaller warranty length...

Biggles
26-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Or
1] Get one of those digtal power-on timers from Dick Smith that are used for turning lights on automatically when you're on holiday (or heaters on an hour before you wake up).

2] Attach your stereo to it.

3] Attach a powerful subwoofer to your stereo.

4] Postion the subwoofer under your bed.

5] Turn the volume dial on the subwoofer up - way up.

6] Put Nirvana's "Nevermind" in the stereo.

7] Retire for a good night's sleep and feel the power of grunge in the morning.

godfather
26-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Or:

Use the timer as suggested by Bruce.

Attach an electric fence, with the electrodes on whatever body parts you choose.

Retire for a very nervous sleep, with a very energetic awakening?

Graham L
26-05-2004, 04:27 PM
I used a timeswitch and an electric drill when I worked rotating shifts. That made enough noise. ;-) An alarm clock close enough to wake me was close enough for me to turn it off without waking. :D

Jaycar might still have have some of of the transducers from Aura Interactors. That was a game accessory which would give earthgquake effects (either with a belt, or through a chair). The transducer is a speaker with a heavy weight rather than a paper cone. It was driven by a 20W amplifier. The amplifiers are listed in the new catalogue but I can't find the transducers. Ask at a Jaycar shop.

mister harbies
26-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Hi,

I am also Deaf. I used to have a Travelling shakeawake. It was good, and sure shook me outa bed. Do not underestimate the power of the shakeawake.

Go for the shakeawake, or ask Workbridge to pay for it. You can claim that it is needed to help you wake up in time for University, and they could pay for it.

Try it.

Mister Harbies

sam m
26-05-2004, 05:55 PM
You should know the steps by now Chris.

Go to workbridge - explain that you are going to Polytech to enable you to get employment. They have funding available for equipment via Enable.
Most Deaf people that I know manage to get either a fax, vibrating alarm and even a vibrating watch or all of the above.

Well that was how it was a few years ago.

Susan B
26-05-2004, 06:02 PM
The easiest and probably the cheapest option is what Bruce has suggested, only instead of hooking the timer up to your stereo, plug in a portable table lamp. The light coming on is guaranteed to wake you up and would be a far more gentle awakening than some of the other suggestions. ;-)

> I used to have a Travelling shakeawake. It was good, and sure shook me outa bed. Do not underestimate the power of the shakeawake.

Horror of horrors! That sort of rude interruption to ones' sweet dreams would be enough to give anyone a heart attack! :O

nz_liam
26-05-2004, 06:07 PM
> The easiest and probably the cheapest option is what
> Bruce has suggested, only instead of hooking the
> timer up to your stereo, plug in a portable table
> lamp. The light coming on is guaranteed to wake you
> up and would be a far more gentle awakening than some
> of the other suggestions. ;-)

A reasonable size desk fan connected to the timer would also provide a cost effective and reliable solution :)

mister harbies
26-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Susan B,

Would you rather have a loud piercing scream right next to your ears?

You get used to the shaking of the bed. Its actually just a vibe. And I assume you get used to the alarm screaming too?

Mister Harbies

Shaun Minfie
26-05-2004, 07:41 PM
My answer?

Have a kid. I havent slept in past 7:30 for the last 6 years :)

Susan B
26-05-2004, 08:32 PM
> Would you rather have a loud piercing scream right next to your ears?

Read my post properly -- I suggested it was better to be woken with a light turning on, not a loud piercing scream right next to my ears. It was Bruce who suggested the noise, not me. :-)

> You get used to the shaking of the bed. Its actually just a vibe.

Sounds great (excuse the bad pun) but if it is anything like an earthquake it will make no difference because they never wake me. When I was younger I sometimes used to have my bed end picked up and shaken by idiots trying to rouse me from the dead when I was totally sound asleep but it had no effect whatsoever. :D

> And I assume you get used to the alarm screaming too?

What alarm? ;-)

Biggles
26-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Actually I'm with Shaun - kids are the best alarm clock there is, except you can't turn them off in the weekend :^O

caffy
26-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Chris,

go to Deaf Association, and tell them you want a vibrating alarm to wake you up for uni/tech (unfortunately they won't fund it if its for personal reasons).

When i started uni, i realised that my cellphone was letting me down, in terms of waking me up on time.

So I went to Deaf association, and filled out some forms, picked what clock i wanted, how i wanted to be woken up (flashing light or vibrating alarm).

They had the vibrating alarm and clock ready in a month. I also got a door buzzer, and flashing light for that - useful for sitting in the lounge and someone's come over.

Good luck,
caffy :)

caffy
26-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Forgot to mention that Deaf Assn get the equipment from DeafQuip...

Budda
27-05-2004, 06:45 AM
"Jaycar might still have have some of of the transducers from Aura Interactors. "

ha ha i remeber these sometimes called rumper thumpers, they were meant to revolutionise gaming lol. But these might do exactly what you want if you could find one, attach to bottom of bed and some sort of timing circuit, it would get bed rocking without making much noise, in case you have flatmates

Baldy
27-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Whatever you get Chris, PLEASE don't try to adjust it with a spoon!