PDA

View Full Version : Why does my index display fine in IE but not Firefox when the rest does?

Chilling_Silence
26-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Greetings,

Im re-designing my website (Some links will be 404's) and have given it a new look / feel.

Funny thing is, my index.html file displays fine in IE, but not in Firefox (The little emblem is south a few pixels) as is the Nav-text.

Funny thing is it displays fine in all the other pages and all I did was copy / paste the "navigational" part of the page into a new .html text file.

Does anybody have any idea's why it may not be displaying correctly? The rest of the website is fine in IE and in Firefox, so why does Firefox not like my index.html??

See: Dimension.net.nz (http://www.dimension.net.nz)
(Yes, it redirects to Chillingsilence.no-ip.com)

Many thanks

Chill.

wuppo
26-05-2004, 10:20 PM
To get the image alignment, try ditching the paragraph statement as in:

<table width="373" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"
align="right">
<tbody>
<tr valign="top">
<td align="right"> images/decal.jpg </td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

The div positioning is a bit more interesting :|

wuppo
26-05-2004, 11:06 PM
You could have a play with the 'line-height' style in your menu div as in:

<div id="Layer1" style="line-height: 0px; position: absolute; left: 6px;
top: 116px; width: 660px; height: 20px; z-index: 1;">

bmason
26-05-2004, 11:23 PM
If you bring up page info in firefox (right click on the page) you will see it is running in standard compliance mode which IE lacks.

It is choosing standards mode because the doctype is html4 strict, but your html isn't.
Changing the doctype to &lt;!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"&gt; should switch firebird back to quirks mode.

If you want to keep html4 strict then pay a visit to the w3c html validator.

bmason
28-05-2004, 09:59 PM
> If you bring up page info in firefox (right click on
> the page) you will see it is running in standard
> compliance mode which IE lacks.

Oops, had a look in the asp.net docs at work and IE also has a standard compliance mode but it is handling the broken html differently to firebird (falling back to quirks mode at a guess).

Chilling_Silence
04-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Cheers bmason - Worked a treat!