PDA

View Full Version : Network Troubles (multiple paths to same destination)

craig_b
25-05-2004, 09:45 PM
I have a pair of network adapters in my winXP pro machine. One is connected to my broadband internet (USB), and the other is connected to the other machines on my network.

For some reason my router likes to periodically crash unless the USB port is used, so I connect to that with my machine, and the rest of the network connects to the router via a switch. I have a pic online to save explaining.

http://scone.orcon.net.nz/network.gif

My PC is the one at the bottom left of the diagram.

The router also has two ports, one ethernet and one USB.

No one PC is on 24x7 so I cannot route the traffic through one PC and use just the USB port on the router.

Also, the USB port speed is only 10Mbps, and we often transfer very large files (+500Mb) over the network between machines so I need the 100Mbps connection for that.

What I want to do is make windows send all traffic destined for one IP address range (my LAN) out the ethernet port, and all other traffic attempt to use the USB port...

Is this possible within windows?

Cheers,
Craig.

JohnD
25-05-2004, 11:09 PM
It looks to me that you need a software router - you don't mention which OS? I am not sure about Win9x but the details for 2k might be in:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299810&sd=tech

craig_b
26-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I said at the top winXP pro.
I don't have the routing and remote access admin tool that this article talks about either...

Merlin
26-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Consider either configuring DHCP with a scope or splitting the network using different protocols.

The computer is down. I hope it's something serious
- Stanton Delaplane

CYaBro
26-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Have you checked the manufacturers website of the router to see if there is an updated firmware that might fix the problem of the router crashing?

craig_b
26-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Unfortunately, the manufacturer of the router is no longer making them, and there is no newer firmware - in fact their site doesn't even mention the router at all any more...

Also, I can't split the network using different protocols, as all the pc's must talk directly to the router, which is ethernet.

I am looking into the windows XP route command which seems to be able to add static routes to the PC's routing table. The main problem I have though is that the addresses are all in the same subnet.

Looking closer at the router, I have found something wierd - the router itself has only one IP address, which both the USB and ethernet ports respond to, and I am unable to determine a MAC address for the USB port.

I think something like this might work, if anyone else is more familiar with the route command, I could use some help...

My IP address is 192.168.1.19
The router is 192.168.1.1

The other PC's are 192.168.1.10-15

I am going to try:
route add 192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.99 IF 3
^destination ^mask ^gateway ^interface

Cheers,
Craig.

craig_b
27-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the help, but I decided to can the whole business and put up with the router crashing for another week (till I can afford a better router)

Here is a warning - unless you intend to use the USB link sterr well clear of plexuscom ADSL routers...

Cheers,
Craig.

Growly
27-05-2004, 06:41 PM
On that topic, my D-Link DSL 500 keeps crashing. i run webservers and this gets REALLY annoying.