PDA

View Full Version : PING Problem - Filesharing fine ~ Help?

M@TT
25-05-2004, 08:43 PM
I have recently been trying to set up a proxy server for my second computer so i can share the internet (a dial-up) between them. I have a cross-over network set up with TCP, Netbeui, and ipx/spx. For some reason it wont work with Just TCP, but thats not the problem.

the problem is:
Proxy Servers seem to depend upon the IP address being able to ping properly. Although I can browse over the Network fine, I cannot ping. This seems to be stopping the proxy from working.

Anyone have any ideas?

aNtzy
25-05-2004, 08:58 PM
errrr ... correct me if I'm wrong, and knowing you guys you most certainly will, doesn't TCP/IP need to be working properly in order to ping successfully?

If so then have you tried checking TCP/IP is installed correctly by just pinging local host.

just a thought.

M@TT
25-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Hi
I can ping myself fine, if thats what you mean. Im sure TCP is working because I can browse the network through My computer and copy files between the two computers etc etc etc. But for some reason Ping wont work and neither will any of the billion Proxy Programs I've tried.
I thought it might be related.

JohnD
25-05-2004, 09:09 PM
If you cannot ping another computer, then TCP/IP is not working over that link. If the link is working, then it is via one of the other protocols you mention, not TCP/IP.

tweak\'e
25-05-2004, 09:41 PM
netbeui is proberly not needed. as others have said tcp/ip is either program or you have a firewall blocking the pings.

tmrafi
26-05-2004, 01:27 AM
Mate,

File sharing works works because of NetBeui being enabled.
To use TCP/IP you must give each machine an IP address unless you are running WinMe, 2000 or XP which will pick an address automatically if none is provided. The address will be typically 169.254.xx.xx.
run "ipconfig" on both machines and see what address you have on either machine and then try pinging.

when you said you can ping yourself what address did you actually ping? if it was 127.0.0.1 or your machine name it means nothing.

Cheers

aNtzy
26-05-2004, 04:00 PM
How can it mean nothing? If I was to test TCP/IP was installed correctly then I would ping 127.0.0.1 - that's must mean something?

Chilling_Silence
26-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Lets start with the networking basics:

The internet uses the TCP/IP "Internet Protocol".
TCP/IP Therefore must be working in order to share the net.

Personally I'd get rid of NetBEUI and IPX/SPX.

If you can ping 127.0.0.1 that simply means that the loopback function is working correctly - eg. TCP/IP is installed

You need to specify each PC with an IP address being:
192.168.0.XYZ
Where XYZ is any number between 2 and 255.
This is because the PC you enable Internet Connection Sharing on (Win98SE or newer) will give itself the IP address 192.168.0.1

From there on each of the other PC's, you want to set the networking details as follows:
IP Address = 192.168.0.XYZ
Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway IP = 192.168.0.1

Primary DNS = 192.168.0.1
Secondary DNS = 202.74.207.100

Now, kill NetBeui and IPX/SPX - You wont be needing them and they're only complicating your life for the mean time. It may mean you cant share files for a day or a minute until you sort out your TCP/IP Networking, but it'll be a lot harder to sort with them there.

Next, reboot the lot, with the Gateway (The one sharing the net connection) booting first.

Then on the client PC/s:
ping 192.168.0.1

Then get back to us.

Hope this helps

Chill.

M@TT
26-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Hi
For somereaso it did not work, here is what happened:
- Network Wouldn't run with TCP alone, it seems to need Netbeui and ipx/spx to run.
- Internet connection sharing wouldnt run properly and loaded an "Internet Sharing" Protocol as well as a adapter into the network settings
- When ICS was loaded I could not Use the internet as pages would load
- With TCP installed alone, i cannot ping myself on the "Gateway" computer

To me this sounds like there is something wrong with TCP? How does that sound?

M@TT
26-05-2004, 06:38 PM
I meant "pages would NOT load"
LOL, my typing needs work:D

tweak\'e
27-05-2004, 12:05 PM
firstly...what OS's are you useing?

>Network Wouldn't run with TCP alone, it seems to need Netbeui and ipx/spx to run

i suspect the reason you need both is youy havn't enabled netbios over ipx/spx.

follow chills advice. strip the network back to basic. scan for spyware and virus's. uninstall ALL firewalls. then setup tcp/ip networking. if XP you will need to use the networking wizard. hopefully you can get it running without having to reset/reinstall tcp/ip. once you have that running (you should be able to ping each pc etc) then you can install netbeui or ipx/spx which ever one you fancy and bind it to your windows fileshareing.

M@TT
27-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Hi
I am using win98se
I will give what you suggest a go and un-install everything, and start afresh.

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2004, 04:46 PM
> un-install everything, and start afresh.
Leave:
Client for Microsoft Networks
Your Network Adapter
TCP/IP for your Network Adapter

:-)

Chill.

tweak\'e
27-05-2004, 05:14 PM
> Leave:
> Client for Microsoft Networks
> Your Network Adapter
> TCP/IP for your Network Adapter

nope. uninstall everything. this will reset tcp/ip as well. then install Client for Microsoft Networks, Your Network Adapter, TCP/IP for your Network Adapter and dailup adapter.

also disable any email antivirus as it will throw a hissy when removing tcp/ip. don't forget to reenable it after installing the network.

Chilling_Silence
27-05-2004, 05:19 PM
> nope. uninstall everything. this will reset tcp/ip as
> well.

Good point..... :-)

tech_meister
27-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi M@tt

The simplest way of doing it with win98se that I know: On the PC with net access
Install TCP/IP in networking, you do not need Netbeui (not routable anyway) or IPX/SPX
Then install ICS when this is done it should change your IP address to 192.168.0.1 but make sure it has.
On the second PC also have just TCP/IP installed and make sure the IP address is set to obtain automatic IP address.
That should work. ;)

Chilling_Silence
28-05-2004, 02:38 AM
> That should work. ;)

Should...
This is Windows we're talking about here... ;-)

</jokes>

Chill.

M@TT
28-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks guys
Stripped th network down completely and reloaded the lot, it workes fine now.

thanks for your help