PDA

View Full Version : Virus? Spam?

music_man
25-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Hi

I am recieving messages (that I think are automated replies) in my hotmail account that say I have been sending unsafe messages and SPAM. Pif documents.

I have not! Whats happening here please?

Kind Regards,

William

godfather
25-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Someone has your address in their address book, due to receiving/sending mail from or to you.

Their PC is infected with a virus.

The virus collects the addresses in the address book, and uses one as a false "from" address, and sends it to all the others.

So it only looks like you have sent the virus out.

OR

Your PC is infected with a virus.
Remember - any virus that sends out copies will not use your email program, it will happen silently and without any trace on an infected machine.

More likely to be #1 option, but run an on-line virus check to make sure?

stu120404
25-05-2004, 06:54 PM
> I am recieving messages (that I think are automated
> replies) in my hotmail account that say I have been
> sending unsafe messages and SPAM. Pif documents.

Your e-mail address has been faked on the from field by a virus, that is why you are getting those messages, just deled them.

Billy T
25-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi MM

Your email address has probably been lifted from one of your friends' computers via a virus or similar and is now out in the wild being used as a spoofed source for spam/virus emails.

Just open a new one and forget that your old one ever existed. It is unlikely to ever get any better.

Tell all your friends to run up to date AV programs and make sure they use the BCC line when sending emails to multiple recipients. Having a string of email addresses in the To: line is one sure way to have your email address harvested.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jim B
25-05-2004, 08:08 PM
>Just open a new one and forget that your old one ever existed.
Rather an extreme move for this type of thing.

>It is unlikely to ever get any better.
As the infected computers get the virus removed the messages normally stop

>
> Tell all your friends to run up to date AV programs
> and make sure they use the BCC line when sending
> emails to multiple recipients. Having a string of
> email addresses in the To: line is one sure way to
> have your email address harvested.

You are getting confused with spam emails, these are not spam they are returned emails. The address that the virus puts in From field are not harvested the way that spam addresses are.

music_man
26-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi

What if I have never heard of the email addresses that are replying to me. It is a hotmail account.

There was a message returned saying spam and also there was a message saying I had sent an unsafe attachment.

Its not quite as simple as getting another one. I have many contacts.

Kind Regards,

William

tommy
26-05-2004, 11:06 AM
> What if I have never heard of the email addresses
> that are replying to me. It is a hotmail account.

As previously said, your email address is likely to be found in other people's addressbooks so even if you have never heard of the sender they would have got your address (probably via a virus) from someone that you know, who knows someone, who knows someone else..... etc.
>
> There was a message returned saying spam and also
> there was a message saying I had sent an unsafe
> attachment.
>
> Its not quite as simple as getting another one. I
> have many contacts.

Run an up-to-date anti-virus scanner on your computer to ensure that you have no viruses yourself then just delete the emails and forget them.

Jim B
26-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Godfather has explained what is happening in his post.

You are getting the undelivered mail because the original email had your address in the From field. It make no difference if you don't know the address that is replying to you.
Just sit it out, they should slow down and stop eventually.

There is nothing else you can do unless you change your email address.

Billy T
26-05-2004, 12:11 PM
>> Just open a new one and forget that your old one
>> ever existed.
> Rather an extreme move for this type of thing.

No, I don't really think so Jim. Hotmail addresses are far more disposable than addresses with a local ISP, and it is likely that users will have a more personalised address there than they can ever get with Hotmail.

>> It is unlikely to ever get any better.
> As the infected computers get the virus removed the
> messages normally stop

Not in my experience, I still receive a daily load on my son's account, even those that were supposed to stop on February 14th. Mailwasher handles the deletions for me now but I still get up to 20 per day. That is a personalised account with a local ISP so I can't drop it unfortunately.

> You are getting confused with spam emails, these are
> not spam they are returned emails. The address that
> the virus puts in From field are not harvested the
> way that spam addresses are.

I am not confused at all Jim. I am well aware of the difference, but I'll lay odds that many people receive a good mix of returns and viruses masquerading as returns, plus new sends. Any unsolicited email message from somebody you don't know is spam in my opinion, and if it contains a virus payload as its primary reason for existence then it is both spam and a virus.

In the final analysis it doesn't matter how an email address was harvested, once in the wild it will attract spam and viruses and continue to be re-harvested by one means or another. I repeat my opinion that the best way to start afresh in this case is to get a new email address, use it carefully and protect it as best you can.

If there is a better way to start afresh while retaining the same compromised email address I don't know it, but I'd be very pleased to learn so that I can get rid of my present 20 a day habit.:D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

oggy
26-05-2004, 03:13 PM
My 5 cents worth ... Even if you get a new e-mail address, there's a good chance you'll advise the person whose PC is infected of your new address ...which they'll enter in their address book ... and the whole cycle starts again. There isn't much you can do about it as there is no problem at your end. Just ignore the messages. They do go away in time.
The most annoying thing about it for me is that the person whose PC is rejecting the e-mails may think they ARE from you which then makes you look a bit careless.