PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Installation wont work :-( CD Media isnt corrupt though?

Chilling_Silence
25-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Greetings,

My mate is having issues re-installing WinXP on his PC.

Sadly his origional WinXP Pro Disc is badly scatched (He's learned his lesson about putting Disc's away where his son cant get to them when visiting). I offered to fix the problem, little did I know what I was getting into....

Basically I tried a couple of copies of Win XP Pro, with little luck. It always complains about a different file not being copiable with each installation attempt. This is regardless of the CD (I even did a brand spanking new copy - and installed it on a VMWare trial and its fine) and the CD-Rom Drive used (I threw in one of my own and it still does it).

So, the question begs to be asked - What next?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chill.

revspecies116
25-05-2004, 04:54 PM
Keep trying

It'll work eventually. I had the same problem - kept stopping at 53% done. Turned off computer and tried again - the same. Tried again, the same. Tried again and it worked. So it is an intermitant problem.

Rev Species 116

Chilling_Silence
25-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Ive been trying all day :-(

Im at a loss here.... :-(

Sometimes its different files.. Sometimes if I wait for 5-10 minutes and hit Enter to retry a file then it will work, sometimes it wont....

:-( :-( :-(

Chill.

Davesdad
25-05-2004, 05:10 PM
> It always complains about a
> different file not being copiable with each
> installation attempt.

Try testing the memory with Memtest86. I had a similar problem reinstalling XP recently. Turned out the memory was shot. New RAM and XP installed a breeze.

wuppo
25-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Try setting the CD's IDE port in bios to the lowest PIO setting. I have a suspicion that until 'windows' is running, the file loader has no re-try ability on a read error from the CD, hence random failures. :|

Steve Askew
25-05-2004, 06:48 PM
> Try testing the memory with Memtest86. I had a
> similar problem reinstalling XP recently. Turned out
> the memory was shot. New RAM and XP installed a
> breeze.

I had the same problem last night ,Tried 3 cd's, 2 cdrom drives & 3 hdd's
Then ran memtest86 & found 1 stick of ram to be faulty, I removed it & windows install was a breeze. :-)

Steve

Chilling_Silence
25-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Right on the money!

Ran memtest86 and it told me the memory is dodgy!

Excellent program, thanks for that :-)

I've told him he'll need new RAM so we'll see how it goes when we get it from the supplier.

Many thanks

Chill.

CYaBro
26-05-2004, 11:10 AM
I too have had this problem a few times and every time it has been faulty RAM.

bk T
26-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi Davesdad,

> Try testing the memory with Memtest86. I had a
> similar problem reinstalling XP recently. Turned out
> the memory was shot. New RAM and XP installed a
> breeze.

I've downloaded the ISO image file of Memtest86. How do I burn it to CD?

Chilling_Silence
26-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Use an application such as Nero, and tell it to "Burn CD Image".

Either that or get the Floppy Disk one and use that ;-)

Chill.

Graham L
26-05-2004, 05:51 PM
You don't need MemTest86. Windows XP installation is a memory test.:D

In fact, any OS installation is likely to be the most severe test of memory: there are a lot of big files which are being decompressed. For the decompression to work, the memory must be perfect. If it's not, the checking complains. In most use, the memory can be flakey, and only cause occasional crashes (considered normal these days?:D). After all, you know you can't spell, numbers from computers are always right(yeah), you can't hear a bad bit in an MP3 file, or see a bad pixel in a jpeg file.