PDA

View Full Version : Defrag...

00falcon
25-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Ok... defrag...
everyone knows to defrag... i mean... it was about the first little piece of preventative maintenance I learnt… and was very good and doing it regularly… was…

I had this striking thought the other day… hmmm… when did I last do it… Damn I think its been bout 6 months…

I know… I know…

You want to see the state of my disk now… shocking to say the least…

But to the point… My Q

I have the option to defrag my page-file as a separate process… as my page-file is fragmented into 1886 fragments…(ummm yes… I am noticing system sluggishness on the big jobs…)

What say I disable the page file… full clean (defrag) my drive… then turn it back on so it get laid down as one contiguous file it the free space…
My baby runs fine without a page-file… I ran my baby for bout 6 months without one and never had any issues…
Or is it better to defrag the page file…

Another thing… does clearing the page file at shut down do anything other than security… I mean… will it stop it from fragmenting…

Back to the first Q… once my PF is contiguous… it should stay like that…

As of right now… after 4 defrags… my analysis table is still very red (bad)…
So ill give it a couple more and then do a boot-time defrag… then tackle the PF…

Next time I wont leave it so long…

Falcon

Graham L
25-05-2004, 01:40 PM
I'd be inclined to disable the swapping and delete the swapfile, then defrag. That should speed up the defragmenting.

It might get fragmented again if/when it gets expanded, but you can stop that by making it a fixed size.