PDA

View Full Version : Laser Printers are not supplied with a full cartiage

ntddevsys
24-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Hello,
My father was in Warehouse Stationary attempting to purchase a HP Laserjet 1010 (On Special, and the guy behind the counter told him that they only came with a 'demo' cartriage as such and that he will have to by a toner very soon. Is this true ?

write-click
24-05-2004, 11:06 PM
As far as I know, that is true, or at least it is for inkjet printers. Seems a bit mean to me, but I suppose it's so you start being a consumer of consumables sooner rather than later! My inkject cartridges were only around half full from memory, and only lasted a few weeks, and I only found out when I mentioned to a friend that the new ones seemed to last a lot longer.

godfather
24-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Google suggests that they do come with a 2,500 page yield "starter" toner cartridge, which is pretty good seeing that the full cartridge is only good for 2,000 pages....

So the answer is.... ?

But its not uncommon for printers to ship with a lower ink load. Keeps the price down for inkjets, but wouldn't make a lot of difference to lasers.

My Laserjet 2100 gives 7,000+ pages per toner unit. Smaller duty cycle lasers such as the 1010 will have smaller capacity usually, so 2,000 or 2,500 sounds about right.

Sure its not a shop demo, and half used perhaps?

ntddevsys
24-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Thanks,
At $300 bucks it is still quite a good deal, aparently its about a half full one ? No idea

robsonde
24-05-2004, 11:25 PM
this is normal.

my brother came with a half size cartiage and only printed 2000 pages before i had to change it :-)

it sounds like a good deal and dont panic about the half cartiagr its normal and will run a lot pages bofore you need to swap it out.

beama
24-05-2004, 11:38 PM
on an average the cost per page for laser toner is about 4 cents a page at least that is the average where I work. Yes it is true for both ink jet and laser the cartridges supplied are normally low capacity

JJJJJ
25-05-2004, 06:38 AM
Laser printers do come with only a demo amount of toner.I forget the exact figures, but mine mentioned it clearly in adverts and on the outside of the box. It is about 10% of the full cartridge.
The last new inkjet I bought cost only about $40 more than the cost of ink for my old one. BUT it ran out of ink after 10 days.
My Laser hs been running for about six months on the demo toner.
As far as I am concerned Epsom, Canon and HP are on the blacklist for printers.
I don't need colour. If you do, have a look at a colour laser. Under $1000.
Don't know how good they are though.
Jack

falvrez
25-05-2004, 08:56 AM
we purchased a Ricoh AP206 colour laser for work - $1295. Output is superb even on plain old photcopy paper. And yes it shipped with different toner amounts that lasted 6 months (it's only used for when we want to print colour). So we bought some new (full) cartridges - $250 each x 4 - ouch!
But still happy with the machine and I was told before purchasing (and it was mentioned on the pdf) that the toner cartridges shipped were not "proper" ones...

Robin S_
25-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Robsonde

I'm so sorry to hear that your brother came with only a half-size cartridge. What about you? And your sisters?

Billy T
26-05-2004, 11:45 AM
> As far as I am concerned Epsom, Canon and HP are on
> the blacklist for printers.

I can understand your blacklisting of Epson. Jack. According to PF1 users they seem to give an inordinate amount of trouble. I wouldn't touch any inkjet with integrated cartridges either, especially those with the electronics and print-heads included in a single unit.

I'd disagree with listing HP lasers though, because they are cheap, reliable and economic to run. Probably no more so that other brands of monochrome laser but we don't read many complaints about laser printers anyway.

I guess you must have had a bad experience with Canon inkjets, but I have used them for 10 years now and I am only on my third generation. The first was a BJC 600 and cost me around $1700. It gave long & reliable service and was replaced with a BJC620 which is still going strong for kids' homework etc. I now use an S750 in my office and I am delighted with the performance and economy.

All my printers use separate ink tanks, the tanks supplied with my Canon printers have always been full capacity, and they are very economic to use. They can be individually run dry so that the last droplet of ink is extracted and printhead relaibility has been extraordinary.

I thrash my printers mercilessly and as I said in a previous thread I have a collection of empty ink tanks that represent a good used car in value. That is a reflection on the amount of colour printing I have to do in my business, not on the economy of the printers by the way.

I'd be interested to hear what your experience with Canon has been, perhaps I have had a charmed existence.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jim B
26-05-2004, 12:12 PM
> I can understand your blacklisting of Epson. Jack.
> According to PF1 users they seem to give an
> inordinate amount of trouble.

You have to remember that PF1 users don't usually post when something is working well.
The same assumption could be made of Windows systems as according to PF1 users it seems to give an inordinate amount of trouble and I would never suggest it should be balcklisted because of that.

I have been using an Epsom printer for years and never had any problem at all.

JJJJJ
26-05-2004, 12:35 PM
As usual I didn't make myself very clear.
The reason for my personal black list has nothing to do with the quality of the printer.As a printer, I love HP's.
But my "blacklisting" is to do with their pricing and advertising. When have you seen an inkjet advertised as "Comes with half full ink tanks"?
The last inkjet I bought,an Epsom, cost me less than $50 more than the cost of replacement cartridges for my HP. The Epsom ink lasted about a month. I just refuse to play their stupid unethical game.
Luckily I have no real need for a colour printer, so I bought a Panasonic Laser for under $500. A few months later it is still running on it's demo toner. And it was advertised as having only demo toner.
When I'm buying I demand the truth, the whole truth and not a load of bullshit.
Jack

Winston001
26-05-2004, 04:46 PM
In the spirit of reporting things which go well - at work we have had an HP Laser 6P for 6 1/2 years. Been cleaned twice and a couple of roller wheels replaced recently. Still going like new. 132,696 pages printed.

Naturally it will collapse tomorrow, according to Murphys Law, but its a wonderful machine.

ntddevsys
26-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Went Ahead with the purchase anyway. It was 299.99, i.e. $300. Only time will tell if it was worth it. But im very impressed for what we got for the price

Billy T
26-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Fair enough Jack, and I agree with your views on advertising that leaves out important information.

My comments on Epson printers were not about reliability, they were influenced mainly by the microchip in the printhead that apparently makes refilling difficult and causes the user to discard tanks with plenty of ink. There have been many posts about that issue on PF1

I know that tech-savvy users can find a work-around for this, but the Mum n' Dad n' kids user with limited knowledge gets soaked for more ink than they needed to buy. That's why I like Canon, you get a fair deal on your ink and a reliable printer without the need for any knowledge at all.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

" Of course if I have named the wrong brand of printer I
apologise unreservedly to Epson for the error.

Growly
26-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Our HP LaserJet 1300n (my pride) came with a full toner!