PDA

View Full Version : Thermaltake Xaser5 Damier

Growly
24-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Intending to buy this case, but have read many reviews that say conflicting things.

Does anyone have one?

Also I've heard much about the screwless PCI holders. Large cards apparently have big trouble fitting, and although one review completely exxagerated the problem, others said that you could get special clips for large cards, or just use normal screws and take em out.

Thermaltake stil havent replied to my emails, one week later.

Shaun Minfie
24-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Hey There Growly,

I dont have one of these but I have worked on a couple of them which were similar or the same. I have to say that I hate thermaltake cases to work on. Wires for absolute miles and miles and they weigh about 3 tonnes. Had issues with the whole PCI screwless thing. The 9800 pro ended up just swinging in the wind lol.

Recently my mate in a PC shop built a system in an Antec (http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=81600) case and I have to say I was impressed. 2 * 120mm fans and it was very quiet. There is also a clear side for it.

Of course this is only my personal opinion.

Growly
24-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Damn, cause I really really like the look.

Hmph, i honesly dont mind the cables... do you know if there is anyway of getting around the pci thing?

Blue_face
25-05-2004, 12:01 AM
I have a Xsaer III V2000A tower, slightly bigger than the Damier and they are damn heavy. As for the screwless pci, my 9800xt and audigy 2 wasnt able to fit in, but you can take the plastic panel off and use the old fashion screwing job. not a big deal since they are awesome looking cases.

Another thing, the cpu heat sensor is too big to fit in the athlon 64 cpu, else is all good :D

metla
25-05-2004, 12:17 AM
My god thats an ugly overbuilt tacky case.....

Growly
25-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Thank you so much for your opinion metla...

so you can take the plastic bits out and use the normal screws sot hat you can fit anything?

AWESOME!!!

Budda
26-05-2004, 09:11 AM
yes you can just use the screws, i have got a similar case and use the screws not plastic as the only two pci cards i have are too big

Sb0h
26-05-2004, 10:18 AM
I have the Thermaltake Xaser III 2000A File server case and it is Aluminium and not heavy at all. It has heaps of space (6 HDD bays) and cooling (7 fans - controlled by a hardcano), surprisingly it's not that noisy either. I don't find wiring a problem in it at all, just tie them out of the way.

Yes the screwless PCI thing did cause a problem with my video card, but all you do is remove the plastic clips and use the screws like you would in any other case, no major drama. It also comes with drive rails which work a treat....no more pulling out the drive cage to install/remove drives, just slide them in and out.

The one thing that has confused me is the top USB/Firewire/MIC connection, the wiring does not seem to match up with the header pins on my m/board....but hey, there are plenty of USB ports at the back and they make cables long enough to reach around the front anyway.

nz_liam
26-05-2004, 07:02 PM
I have a Thermaltake VM-1000C case, (being the only thermaltake I could get last week for $120), its great, and has no issues fitting my Gigabyte R9600P in :)

Regards

nz_liam

Growly
26-05-2004, 07:44 PM
7 fans :o now im jealous!!!

Anyway, i'll take that as a yes and buy the case, cheers guys!

nz_liam
26-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Out of interest how much is it costing you?