PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't hyperlink work?

dumb-bell
23-05-2004, 09:38 PM
When I click on any hyperlink now I get a very loud boom sound and the related site does not appear. Everything has been going along fine - since I dumped Paradise - now this happened.
Haven't been messing around any more than usual, and enquiries have not been fruitful.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Dumb Bell

stu120404
23-05-2004, 09:47 PM
what e-mail client are you using?

dumb-bell
23-05-2004, 10:04 PM
stu120404

I am using Outlook Express

Dumb Bell

beama
23-05-2004, 11:43 PM
have you run a up to date anti virus and an anti adware program such as adaware or spybot 1.3, another off the wall idea check the event sounds in control panel see if that gives you any hints as to whats happening.
Also check this FAQ (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=41858) by Susan B ( it may take a while to load)

dumb-bell
24-05-2004, 09:38 PM
beama,

Thanks very much for your valuable suggestions.

My anti virus defs are updated daily, adaware and spybot 1.3 are right up to date and have been run, I can't see anything in sounds in control panel that looks suspicious to me.
I can't action your FAQ hyperlink for actioning hyperlink is my problem.

So far no success but I thought your suggestions were excellent and I thank you for the time and effort you have taken on my behalf.

Dumb bell

beama
25-05-2004, 12:15 AM
another idea
are you using internet explorer and have you tried a repair of internet explorer
the reason I suggested event sounds was you maybe able to isolate the event that booming sound applies to for example program error > boom.wav

Jim B
25-05-2004, 10:34 AM
ms info here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q177/0/54.asp&NoWebContent=1) and here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q281679)

dumb-bell
25-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Jim B

Would you please spell out the sites to which your two hyperlinks refer as that is my problem, I cannot action hyperlinks.

Many thanks,
Dumb Bell

Jen C
25-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Hi dumb-bell

This is a copy and paste of the relevant portion from the "You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you click a link" MS article.

----------------------------------------------------------------

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:

1. Quit all programs that are running.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):

* Shdocvw.dll
* Msjava.dll
* Actxprxy.dll
* Oleaut32.dll
* Mshtml.dll
* Browseui.dll
* Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)

If the problem is still not resolved, verify that the following registry values are present and correct:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
Name: (Default)
Value: IDispatch
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

If the problem is still not resolved, reinstall Internet Explorer. If you are using the version of Internet Explorer that is included with your operating system, reinstall or repair your operating system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

See if this helps - post back if you need more explanation for those steps :)

Jim B
25-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Sorry about that.stupid of me.
Do the following first and if more info needed copy and paste the links into your address bar.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q177/0/54.asp&NoWebContent=1

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q281679

Set Internet Explorer as the default browser
To set Internet Explorer to be the default Internet Browser, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click the Internet or Internet Options icon, and then click Programs.

3. Make sure that the Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default check box is selected, click Apply, and then click OK.

4. Open Internet Explorer, and then click Yes when you receive the following prompt:

Internet Explorer is not currently your default browser. Do you wish to make it the default?

1. Quit all programs that are running.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.
If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):

* Shdocvw.dll

* Msjava.dll

* Actxprxy.dll

* Oleaut32.dll

* Mshtml.dll

* Browseui.dll

* Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)

Miami Steve
25-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Are you running some sort of Ad-Blocker or Pop-up blocker? The loud boom suggests that something may be closing a window that the hyperlink is trying to open. This may be a standalone blocker (Popup Killer) or an add-in (Ad blocking in Outpost Firewall) are examples that spring to mind.

Cheers
Miami

dumb-bell
25-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi all you lovely people. Your dedication to solving my self inflicted problem has transformed me from a grizzly 82 year old simpering decrepit man into a happy and joyous bright eyed sprightly 82 year exuberant youth. Oh the wonderful joy of living.

You have removed the curse that had befallen me. Being a very cautious person I take all precautions to keep my PC healthy and free from all the nasties around. So the program Smart Popup Blocker was recommended by a highly reputable? source so of course I installed it very recently. I know I should have remembered that my problems started just after this. My short term memory, but now I shall run a log of all the alterations I make.

I truly do appreciate all the trouble you have all gone to to help me out of my dilemma. You have done your good deed for the day and I send you all a great big kiss. And a big kiss to PressF1 too, the facility that makes this all happen.

A grateful thanks,

Dumb Bell

Jen C
25-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Good to hear you have it sorted dumb-bell, and excellent detective work Miami Steve for thinking outside the square :D

Miami Steve
25-05-2004, 12:40 PM
The profusion of pop-ups these days means that pop-up blockers are virtually a necessity, but sometimes it can get quite a mess trying to view a legitimate pop-up window.

My own setup has PopUp Killer running, plus I use Avant Browser which has in-built pop-up blocking. Many browsers nowadays support pop-up blocking (so I probably should now dump Pop-Up Killer as I guess it's become obsolete). It still takes a moment or two to realise that the link I'm clicking is working, but is being blocked by me.

Glad we could help....

Cheers
Miami