PDA

View Full Version : Wtools

alistera
23-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Hi experts, I am not one, so can I get some help here. When I start up my PC I keep getting the following message "Wtoolsa has caused an error in KERNAL 32.DLL" It then advises that it will close Wtoolsa and then proceeds not to, instead this message comes up every 20 sec's or so. I also try to close Wtoolsa by "Ctrl/Alt/Delete", and close down wtoolsa, but this takes about 6 or 7 goes before that works. Having said that, once closed down, it does not seem to cause any other problems with the PC
How can I fix this (I have run "scandisk" without sucsess). Any answers in plain english (because I am computer thick) would be most appreciated -Alister

tweak\'e
23-05-2004, 12:12 PM
a quick and dirty google search shows that its a spyware/hijacker. give spybot or adaware a run (don't forget to update them first....and if that dosn't pick it up try hijackthis.

alistera
23-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the help. Where can I go to find these? _Al

Susan B
23-05-2004, 12:59 PM
The forum has a Spyware FAQ (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=41858&message=220430&q=faq+%238b#220430) which has advice on removing spyware and links to the tools.

If you download and use HijackThis be sure to create a new folder in Program Files and unzip the hijackthis.exe file to that folder before running it. To use it you click the Scan button then click Save Log and save it to your new HijackThis folder. Once that has been done copy and paste the contents of that log file here. Do NOT attempt to fix anything until advice has been received from here.

If you need more help, just ask. :-)