PDA

View Full Version : MS Update CD and Win 98SE update pack

Susan B
21-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Are there many people here who have used the free Microsoft update CD to update their computers and are happy (or otherwise) with it? I have used mine on the Win 98 PC without any issues and am going to try it on the Win XP soon.

Also, has anyone tried the unofficial Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 1 1.5 (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4131.html)?

Would like to know how people found either update and whether they had problems with the computer afterwards or not.

tweak\'e
21-05-2004, 09:06 PM
i've run the update cd on several pc's....with no ill effects. just which you could add more updates to it yourself.

i have tried the unoffical win98se service pack tho there is not much point if you use the windows update cd.

only odd thing with windows update cd is they don't have the dailup networking 1.4 upgrade on it :(

Slim
21-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Hi Susan,
I have replied previously to a post by Laura in March.
In addition I found later when I went to use my scanner it replied with not operational, reinstall drivers etc. A bit beyond me so a service shop reinstalled the Twain version and the Mira version with later updates. All worked well. This was with the Update CD on Wind 98SE.
I have never touched any unofficial Service Packs.

Peter H
21-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Used it on my spare comp W98se with no service packs on it - new install. Changed IE 5 to 6 & Outlook Express to V6. That was about it. Haven't bothered doing it to this one, again W98se, as all the nastys seem to be directed to XP.
Bye

supergran
21-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Have used it on 98SE new reformat, and XP, took back to factory, and no problems with either. Saved me heaps of time on a real slow rural dial up. LOL

Susan B
22-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the advice people. :-)

There was nothing for the MS update CD to do on my Win XP machine so I will just have to wait until I get a victim to try it out on. :p :D

kiki
23-05-2004, 12:24 AM
When I installed the update cd on a fresh install of Win98 after a few days it started causing illegal operation errors every time I closed a program down.

I'm not installing that ever again.

The unofficial works well on the other hand with a whole lot of other things. Small download too ;)

mark.p
23-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Used the MS update cd on my Windows 98 first edition box. No issues at all.

Susan B
23-05-2004, 01:19 PM
> When I installed the update cd on a fresh install of Win98 after a few days it started causing illegal operation errors every time I closed a program down.

> I'm not installing that ever again.

:O

<gulp>

Mike
23-05-2004, 01:25 PM
> When I installed the update cd on a fresh install of
> Win98 after a few days it started causing illegal
> operation errors every time I closed a program down.
>
> I'm not installing that ever again.

After a few days? So how can you narrow it down to the update CD? It could have just been a bad install of Win98 or some other problem ?:|

Mike.

kiki
23-05-2004, 10:40 PM
> After a few days? So how can you narrow it down to the update CD? It could have just been a bad install of Win98 or some other problem.

No. Because that was the only thing that was different.

Mike
23-05-2004, 11:36 PM
> > After a few days? So how can you narrow it down to
> the update CD? It could have just been a bad install
> of Win98 or some other problem.
>
> No. Because that was the only thing that was
> different.

But you said it was a fresh install of Win98... so there could have been something in that install that could have been bad, since there was a few days before the problems appeared - it could have been a delay from the initial install, rather than a delay from the patch install. IMHO to be able to narrow it down so easily, the problem would need to present itself immediately, not a few days later.

Mike.

kiki
24-05-2004, 12:32 AM
I don't know how you can do a bad install. Generally the whole system was unstable right after the update cd install. Just random little quirks, but the main one being programs crashing when closed and forcing a reboot.

mikebartnz
24-05-2004, 04:39 AM
I'm surprised about that because it is meant to have all updates to Oct 2003. They really need to make it a rolling CD so that all updates are current to the point in time.

mark.p
24-05-2004, 07:15 AM
> I'm surprised about that because it is meant to have
> all updates to Oct 2003. They really need to make it
> a rolling CD so that all updates are current to the
> point in time.

MS did -Oct 2003.

Mike
24-05-2004, 08:40 PM
> I don't know how you can do a bad install.

The same way you get a bad patch install - it's not necesarily the product (or OS or patch or whatever), but for some unknown reason something might go screwy while you're installing, and that one little thing might just effect everything else in the system. It's not unheard of for people to install something, it not work, so they uninstall and reinstall it and have it work fine. It happened to me with a game a couple of weeks ago.

Mike.

mikebartnz
24-05-2004, 10:58 PM
> I'm surprised about that because it is meant to have
> all updates to Oct 2003. They really need to make it
> a rolling CD so that all updates are current to the
> point in time.

>>MS did -Oct 2003.
It is now May 2004 so how is Oct 2003 current please tell me.