PDA

View Full Version : Any hope or is it truely stuffed?

agent_24
21-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Yesterday i had one of my computers running perfectly fine - playing CivCTP over lan to test a newly-made network cable. the only error i could detect was that the computer seemed to hang on shutdown. (I think this could have been due to pulling the network cable out before it had shut off.)

Either way...

Today i booted it up and it was all fine until it got to the black screen with cursor just before he XP logon screen - where it froze.

i rebooted and windows said "windows did not start properly on the previous attempt blah blah, if you dont know why, choose 'start normally' ". so i did, and the froze again.

the third time i booted into safe mode where it was fine. except everytime i moved the mouse the screen would flicker.

deciding it was just being a weirdo, i restarted into normal again, where it got to the logon screen and then had a blue-screen of death with "Unknown Hard Error".

i restarted again and it then loaded windows properly - except for the fact that there were shimmering dark blue dots next to dark things, flickering, and pink lines down the screen. I went to microsoft.com and read what their opinon on unknown hard error was. they said that it happens when you install windows XP with an ATI 6000 or something, which i dont have. (i have a GeForce 2 on that computer). Either way it seemed it was a video card driver problem, so i upgraded the drivers for it. that didnt help. in the end i ripped the Geforce out and used the onboard SiS thing.

Booted up fine.....

So now i have a GeForce 2 sitting in an anti-static bag that seems to have died overnight (while everything was turned off). Someone please tell me that this can be fixed easily (and cheaply) or, tell me how the hell it happened....?

metla
21-05-2004, 04:57 PM
> Someone please tell me
> that this can be fixed easily (and cheaply) or, tell
> me how the hell it happened....?

Fix-Throw it away
Cause-Age

nz_liam
21-05-2004, 05:06 PM
> > Someone please tell me
> > that this can be fixed easily (and cheaply) or,
> tell
> > me how the hell it happened....?
>
> Fix-Throw it away
> Cause-Age

I'd agree, but for interestís sake, have you tried to put the card in another similar machine? Just make sure the AGP speed of the card matches the AGP speed of the matching you try it in.

AGP 4X & 8X cards & Mobos will happily interchange.
But I believe AGP 2x uses a different voltage (5V instead of 3.3V with 4X/8X), which could ending up frying a new Mobo.

Regards nz_liam

agent_24
21-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Hmm, well i havent tried but i dont think there is any point - Either way its a PCI edition, and trying a different slot didnt work, so i suppose it is stuffed :(

> > Cause-Age

Im sorry, but i really dont see how that could be why - i mean its only 1.5 - 2 years old.. My ISA Cirrus Logic GD45xx In my 33mhz computer must be way older and its still going strong....

Unless my Geforce had a weak spot or something.....

Still expect a card from DSE to work longer than that - and it was $214....

Oh well

nz_liam
21-05-2004, 05:56 PM
I suppose you could always try re-flashing the VGA bios.

Have a look at the card manufacturers site as they normally list VGA bios downloads and a flash utility.

Regards, nz_liam.

metla
21-05-2004, 08:52 PM
> Still expect a card from DSE to work longer than that
> - and it was $214....

The fact that its from dse means nothing,half of what they sell is rebranded rubbish,what model and brand is it anyway?

I remember when geforce 2 cards were 800 dollars.....

Besides which,video cards are perhaps the most highly stressed component in a computer beside the psu.

agent_24
21-05-2004, 11:05 PM
well, DSE has my support for selling (generally) good computer parts, compared to QMB computers where every single thing i have bought from them had problems, including 2 mice which both broke after 2 days...

Anyway, the Geforce is a PowerColour branded thing, with a model number of CX33E or something (plz note thats not the proper one).

also, just wondering - i recall something similar happening to a friend's Geforce 4 - first Dots everwhere, then it just died with 8 beeps or so before the POST which we found out related to dead video ram. Also his card had an exceptionally small heatsink and fan, for a geforce 4 - basically a 50c piece thick and sized circle of copper with a fan the same size on top. he also has another Geforce 4 with a 5cm square heatsink on, and no fan. My card has the same. not sure how that would affect the ram, but the guy at the shop said that my friends geforce chip had cooked itself.

makes me wonder, are there lots of weirdo companies selling cards with substandard cooling or what?