PDA

View Full Version : Ye Old Panasonic Word Processor

robertshaw
21-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Hi
About 15 years ago my father produced his war story on a Panasonic word processor. He died three years ago and we have just found the disks. Panasonic in Auckland cannot help us - they did their best. There does not appear to be an emulator on the net. Would there be someone in Wellington perhaps who has a machine that we might use to print out some pages, or can someone suggest how we might recover the information on the 3.5 disks. A PC says the disks need to be formatted.
Thank you.
Robert Shaw
Wellington

Billy T
21-05-2004, 05:39 PM
Hi Robert

Welcome to Press F1

I understand the importance you place on this information, and it may be necessary to send the data off-shore for conversion.

I don't know for sure, but since it is on a floppy it may/should be possible to do a copy without knowing the format. I seem to recall software somewhere that does an exact bit by bit copy but moving your post to the the top of the list will help get answers on that.

This site (http://www.ndci.com/wordprocessing_frame.html) and this one too (http://www.triousa.com/Convert/CPM/cpmfrmt3.htm) seem to be able to do what you want, and if a copy can be made you could possibly email the file to them. The second site seems the best by the way, but I'm no expert.

If you know the model of Panasonic there may be somebody who owns one in working order that could print the file out for you, but I'd be cautious of having your disk damaged so getting a copy made seems to be very important to me.

Wait and see what the experts on PF1 can do to help.

Good luck

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L
21-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Anyone with Linux can do a dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.dat bs=72k . (The command strings -4 floppy.dat | less will show if there is hope. NB there will be "junk" at the start because of the directories etc).

The first step is to pick out the "write protect" tab and throw it away so noone can write to the floppy by "accident". The disk might be a 720K, but it should still be readable on a 1.44 drive.

It's a pity that it doesn't look like a DOS style disk. But that might be just modern Windows being snobby.:D

R2x1
22-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Challenging !