PDA

View Full Version : Friend inherited Word 2000 with no key number

Neil McC
21-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Her sister died,leaving her a pc,WIn98se.She has the original Word disc,but no paper work to let her reinstall Word,after reformatting to start afresh.She has rung Microsoft,but says it's so complicated trying to get a number that she's given up.Any suggestions please.
The patch cd from Microsoft is coming in handy now.Also might load that Open Office suite for her if we have trouble getting a key,since she uses Word at work,and they're meant to work together?

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Give her OpenOffice.org 1.1 to try :-)

If she doesnt like it, then email me (Address in my profile) and I can help

Chill.

Rob99
21-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Here is one I found on the internet, I think MS are just mean.

#####-#####-#####-#####-#####

This probably seems naughty to some people but if MS would pull their head out, this would not be necessary.

anonymous :p

Chill:
I know you're trying to help, but pointing the user in the direction of Google would suffice

Rob99:
Again, I know what its like to be in the position of "key-less", however this is outlined in the rules.

Lets keep it clean :-)

[Edited by: Moderator on May 21, 2004 11:10 AM]

godfather
21-05-2004, 11:58 AM
There are various utilities that will recover the key from the installed software, on most Windows systems.

Use Google.

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Godfather>
I thought that the PC had been formatted - If so its a bit late then for an extraction utility ;-)

Chill.

Neil McC
21-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Gosh you guys are quick today,must be the new speed of F1!
Chill,I do know where to look!But haven't tried that with M software.Thanks Rob99,might have that one already.And yes gf,she did reformat the pc to start anew,quite proud of her I am!So now have to load all those handy progs,antivirus,firewall,spybot etc, for her,and try out a few numbers then.Thanks for your comments,even you Moderator! ;-)