PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Motherboard

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Greetings,

My family's PC's motherboard seems to be playing up. We are getting MCE's when it starts to boot, and the BIOS keeps resetting. Aside from that, no matter how hard I try and tell it the CPU is 933Mhz, it either sets it to 1.2Ghz or 600Mhz - both of which are horribly wrong.

They've got a Celeron CPU - 256MB SD-Ram (2x 128MB Chips), Onboard sound and video.

We need a replacement motherboard that's got Onboard VGA/Sound (Ive got two NIC's in there, so that's not an issue) and it has to take SD-Ram.
I believe the CPU is socket 478 (Does this sound correct, Ive not done much work with Celerons/P4 Motherboards). Im assuming this will work with any P4 Socket 478 Motherboard? Or am I wrong here?

Can anybody suggest a Motherboard (Price matters a LOT here - Just had several large unexpected bills come up) for the price-concious that will suit them?

Off to the suppliers website I go.....

Many thanks

Chill.

Murray P
21-05-2004, 11:39 AM
It'd be a PPGA socket 370 wouldn't it Chill?? I thought the 933 was a P 111 and the Celeron was 900.

No matter, you might actually get quite a good end of line mobo.

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2004, 11:44 AM
When I used Linux I:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
and it told me it was a Celeron Coppermine CPU.
I used the Gentoo build flags for a pentium 3 CPU though.

I guess I'll have to wait til tonight and find out exactly what socket it is.
Am I correct in assuming it can use the P4 motherboard for socket 478 if that's the case?

Sockect 370... Hmm..... Rings a bell, but I dont think it is....

Thanks

Chill.

Murray P
21-05-2004, 11:50 AM
If it is 478 Coppermine it will take a P4.

BTW. There should be a wee package for a Mr C. Silence arriving. Might pay to alert the family so they don't give it back to the postie.

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2004, 11:56 AM
> If it is 478 Coppermine it will take a P4.
Cheers, thats what I was waning to know :-)

> BTW. There should be a wee package for a Mr C.
> Silence arriving. Might pay to alert the family so
> they don't give it back to the postie.

Yours are in the Mail today :-)

Chill.