PDA

View Full Version : driver

titan
21-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Is there a 'simple to install' download for a driver that will enable Xandros vers 2 to operate an Alcatel Speedtouch 300 adsl modem?

Murray P
21-05-2004, 10:22 AM
What interface does the modem use, etherent, USB or PCI. I'm guessing it's PCI becuase otherwise it's USB or your ethernet cards drivers is what you want.

Cheers Murray P

titan
21-05-2004, 10:48 AM
the modem has a usb connection

Murray P
21-05-2004, 11:19 AM
USB Drivers (http://www.speedtouch.com/support.htm)

Linux How To's (http://www.linux.com/howtos/DSL-HOWTO/speedtouchusb.shtml)

Don't think there is any easy way like windows drivers.

HTH Murray P

titan
21-05-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks for your help Murray.

I was aware of the links suggested in the site you commended, however I was hoping for something a bit simpler.

I thought Xandros would be more user friendly than traditional Linux OSs.

I just want to get away from windows borne viruses.

I guess I`ll just have to get a Mac!

T.

sam m
21-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Have a look at this link (http://speedtouchconf.sourceforge.net/) although I suspect that setting it up will still be problematic.
Most advice I have seen has been to dump USB and go ethernet.
Also have you tried just going to Xandros Network and search under alcatel. Often they do updates that may have been developed as we speak.

Not long ago I bought Espon printer which I could not connect to xandros. I gave up on it until I got a pleasant surprise about 2 weeks later when I did a Xandros Update and lo and behold my printer was added to the list and now prints perfectly.

I find some useful advice here (http://forums.xandros.com/index.php) when looking for xandros stuff.

good luck
sam m

titan
22-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Hi Sam

THanks for your help. Unfortunately your suspicion is correct, although apparently simple, the advice/procedure offered by the first site you suggested is beyond me.

My pc does not have an ethernet connection, Telecom - I asked them cos they supplied the modem - suggested a router.
Xandros do have a relatively simple download for vers 1, I guess I`ll have to keep an eye out for ver 2.

THanks again.
T

Murray P
22-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Although this is not helpfull to your current situation; I've heard of other people using USB routers on Telecoms advice.

An ethernet router is much more reliable than the USB or PCI cards especially where your lines are a little on the edge. The latter 2 also put more overhead on your system resources while the ethernet is vitually independent of you system (needs a LAN/NIC card). How's your connection, a bit dodgy it? I'm sure it is and therefore Telecom has sold you an inadequate product that does not meet your needs. Maybe you could politely enquire as to, whether they will replace with a ethernet router.

Some routers come with both USB and ethernet ports, you wouldn't have one of those would you?

Cheers Murray P

titan
24-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Hello Murray.

I should tell you that Telecom`s suggestion of a router was in response to my query about the compatibility of the Alcatel modem with Xandros. My jetstream connection appears to work ok, although I am on the slowest connection plan.

Cheers Titan.

Jen C
24-05-2004, 12:39 PM
> Xandros do have a relatively simple download for vers 1, I guess I`ll have to keep an eye out for ver 2.

Hi Titan

I am not sure what you mean about the version 1. In Xandros Networks if you select Edit > Set Application Sources > Debian unsupported site - OK, and then go Settings > Expert view, and then search for "alcatel" for will find this driver:

Speedtouch
This package contains userspace utilities and daemons necessary to get the Alcatel Speedtouch USB ADSL Adapter working in Linux without any kernel patches. . The drivers communicate with the adapter via usbdevfs in /proc/bus/usb. The 'modem_run' utility locates the adapter, initialises it, uploads the firmware, and monitors the ADSL line, and the 'pppoa3' daemon passes ATM frames between the ADSL adapter and the pppd process.
Available: 1.2-0beta2-2

Looks like a beta driver, but worth a try.

titan
24-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Hi Jen,

Apparently vers 2 has a multiprocessor (SMP) configured kernel.
Xandros support did not know of a driver that would work with that OS & the 330 modem

I checked out Xandros Network as you suggested, but did not find anything re Alcatel.

Thanks, Titan