PDA

View Full Version : Why does the dialup screen come up on startup?

lloyd
20-05-2004, 07:53 PM
I recently found the dialup window coming up when I start my computer up, it has since got worse and started to come up soon after the windows password box comes up and again immidiately after windows is loaded, and again as windows shuts down.

I have, NAV 2003 and Adaware regularly updated but they recognise nothing that is responsible for this, as the problem continues after any scans and cleanouts. I've looked in msconfig and found Remote Access ticked, which was a bit of a worry. However when I take the tick out, it's back there again after the restart.

As far as I know no program I have is configured to auto update. Should Remote Access have a tick in it? How can I find and get rid of whatever is wanting access to the internet?

help_me
20-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Remote assistance should have a tick if you want people to help you with problems etc. i dont think it is causing this whindow to appear.

are you on a network of some sort, because sometimes when i logon it comes up because my other computer wants to use the internet.

also if you have msn messenger set up to open when you logon it will try to sign in and this causes it to come up sometimes

other than that im not sure why it may be appearing

Murray P
20-05-2004, 08:33 PM
Go into your dialup propertie and see if "Dial whenever a connection is not present" or "Dial on demand" or words to that effect, are ticked. You want it on "Never dial a connection"

Remote access? What OS are you using? If your using win 2k or XP you can shut this down in services but, you need to be carefull. Have a look here (http://www.blackviper.com/index.html) for services tips.

Cheers Murray P

Pheonix
20-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Bet you it is NAV. If you have a firewall, why not see what program is trying to dial out? Although you can't do it with the standard XP firewall.

Shortstop
20-05-2004, 09:21 PM
TO STOP DIAL UP ON START-UP: In Internet Explorer select TOOLS- INTERNET OPTIONS-ADVANCED-Scroll to SECURITY-UNCHECK “ check for publisher’s revocation certificate”

lloyd
20-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks for your response.
The OS is Win ME, the connection properties are set to always dial my default connection, I like to have it like that so that when I click on a link, and the dialup screen comes up automatically, but wont dial until I click connect. It's been working fine like that untill just recently.

lloyd
20-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Thanks shortstop, that seems to have done the trick. Beats me why that problem just started, I don't know whether or not it was ticked before, but I sure wasn't having that trouble.

Cheers, Lloyd

rodb
21-05-2004, 10:20 PM
It is a problem relating to Norton AV 2002 onwards running on ME. I do not know the cure, other than moving to XP.

stu120404
22-05-2004, 10:37 AM
try running spybot search & destroy & see if that find any thing

lloyd
23-05-2004, 03:01 PM
WinME, not on a network, MSN Messenger not setup.
To collate every thing I've done.

1) I removed the tick in Internet Options "Check for publisher's certificate revocation", this stopped the dialup window appearing.

2) I ran spybot S&E 1.3, got 21 spyware entries (when clicking Fix Problem, spybot appears to freeze, but approx 5 min later a success window pops up), after that Task Manager recorded approx 5-7 less things running. I then replaced the tick in "Check for publisher's certificate revocation", success (it seemed), even with the tick there, no dial up window appeared on startup.

3) After closing IE ( from open but offline), an IE window (minus toolbars etc.) pops up along with the dial up window, when I let it connect it went to what appeared to be and advertisement warning that my system was unprotected from spyware and "to download protection click here".

4) When running spybot again, it picked up 1 thing in red: Data source object exploit - registry change, 1 entry; HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows. I Clicked fix problem (spybot still appeared to freeze, taking approx 5 min). However the same IE window popped up after IE was closed and running spybot again and again kept finding the same DSO Exploit.

5) After a full shutdown and starting (the next day), the problem with the window wanting to dial-up after closing IE, was gone. However the dial up window apearing again on startup (original problem), so I took the tick out of "Check for publisher's certificate revocation", which fixed that problem again.

6) I have since found that after starting up Outlook, the problem when closing down IE apears again, and continues after Outlook is closed, but disapears after a restart until Outlook is opened.