PDA

View Full Version : Video editing software...any recommendations?

Sb0h
20-05-2004, 12:15 PM
I'd like your opinions on video editing software for Win XP mainly for editing home movies (cute 1yr old :-)) etc, not professional work but I'd like to do it properly. I would like to be able to burn my movies to DVD and use reasonable quality codecs etc. I have used Moviemaker 2 but would like to be able to export movies in better quality and for home DVD players. The software must be stable, I've mucked around with basic editors in the past and had stability issues...nothing worse than an application constantly crashing on you.

I have just built a new system and picked components with video editing in the back of my mind so system specs are not an issue. System is a P4 3.0Ghz (Northwood 800FSB HT enabled), 1GB OCZ Dual Channel DDR 400 RAM, onboard firewire, 2 x 120GB Seagate SATA drives in RAID 0 for editing, separate 120GB ATA 100 system drive, DVD burner.

So all I need now is a good software package to complement the hardware. Any suggestions?

TIA

Biggles
20-05-2004, 12:33 PM
I've been using Ulead VideoStudio 8 ($241) for a couple of weeks and am finding it pretty good. I've burnt the edited movies to a DVD+RW and played them on my cheapo Mizuda DVD player without problems.

You can add background music, audio tracks, text, overalys and mix still images inw ith your video. You can adjust the volume of the video, musioc and audio tracks too. I haven't had any crashes. Running it on a P4 2.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB hard drive and WinXP Pro.

http://www.ulead.com/vs/runme.htm

Miami Steve
20-05-2004, 12:50 PM
I got ULead Video Studio 7 and ULead DVD Movie Factory 2.5 bundled with my graphics card and can say I have found them very straightforward to use. I have had no stability problems either (on Win XP Pro SP1a).

I have had a slight issue with the results but as a beginner I'm not going to apportion blame just yet. I copied some of my old football videos onto my hard drive (using Video Studio) and when played back using PowerDVD (or Windows Media Player) they appear perfect. However, once they have been burnt (to DVD+RW) using DVD Movie Factory, any scenes with lots of movement are all jittery when played back on my DVD player (maybe it doesn't like the DVD+RW discs).

As I say, I have only been experimenting for a couple of weeks, so I don't blame the software (yet).

Cheers
Miami

Biggles
20-05-2004, 02:47 PM
I'm using DVD+RW and action scenes don't have that issue with me (kids playing soccer) on my DVD player. Maybe it's been improved in VS 8?

Richard
20-05-2004, 07:27 PM
I have used Pinnacle Studio7 now for a couple of years, with absolutely no problems. It is a very versatile program with heaps of options for adding music, commentary, wipes and transitions etc. You will find though that simple fades and cuts are better when changing scenes. I believe Studio is now at version 8 or 9, and wasn't there a trial copy on a PC Plus CD recently?

Cheers
Richard

Sb0h
20-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the Ulead product a bit more...I have heard the latest pinnacle version may be a bit unstable?

Thanks

metla
20-05-2004, 10:05 PM
All releases of the pinnacle gear have had reports of instability on certain hardware, rock solid on others with no real pattern as to why.

Having said that its easy enough to lock up any video editing program if your trying to stitch together avi files that have been encoded to different standards.

Pinnacle isn’t bad but it is limited, you may find that once you have it mastered that it can't do all that you want to.

I wanted more then what pinnacle could accomplish within a week of installing it, very simple program to use though.

Sb0h
20-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Which is your pick from the current bunch of editing apps Metla?

robsonde
20-05-2004, 10:14 PM
I found Ulead VideoStudio 8 is good.

I have now moved up to a Mac with "final cut"

metla
20-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Ulead mediastudio fits my needs like a glove.

Sb0h
20-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Nice....vid editing is supposed to be a lot easier with a mac. I thought about it but enjoy a bit of gaming too (and the missus wouldn't work with a mac) ;-)

metla
20-05-2004, 10:24 PM
Ulead® MediaStudio Pro 7 to be exact.

http://www.ulead.com/msp/runme.htm

Its a more expensive suite of apps but if you can afford it then you might as well match up the quality hardware with a quality editing solution.

Sb0h
20-05-2004, 10:24 PM
So what's the diff between Ulead Mediastudio and Videostudio? Obviously one must have more features than the other.

Sb0h
20-05-2004, 10:27 PM
My thoughts exactly....I'd hate to start too basic and outgrow the software too quick. But I'd rather not throw money away on a package that doesn't perform like it's supposed to, so I'd rather do the research now and save the hassles later.

agent
20-05-2004, 10:45 PM
And when you grow out of that glove, you can try Cinelerra (http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3) on for size.

Commercial-grade video editting with near-commercial-grade hardware requirements. ;)

Neil McC
20-05-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm using VS7.Tried out the MediaStudio7 trial for a while but found that my VideoS files wouldn't open in MS7,but they will in Sonic Vegas.Also found I don't need a sound editor like MS7 has,as I have other programs for sound work.So not very impressed with MS7,but that's only my opinion,as a newby.

;\

Dave
21-05-2004, 06:05 AM
I use "Editstudio 4" by "Puremotion". There software is excellent and the online forum for help is second to none. All at a reasonable price.

http://www.puremotion.com

drcspy
21-05-2004, 07:19 AM
I have pinnacle studio dv (version 8 i think) however it'll only run on win98 or 2k and it's very annoying does anyone have a patch or whatever for xp ?...........currently I"m usign windows movie maker and it's fine for uploading from the vid cam to puter

Peter
21-05-2004, 05:24 PM
I am running Studio 8, (which is now up to ver 8-12-7) on XP Home with no problems.

Studio 9 is now available and a demo cd can be ordered online from Pinnacle (I think, or Imaging Technology?).

drcspy
21-05-2004, 05:40 PM
is there a difference between studio dv and studio 8 ? I thought I had studio DV but I'll have to look up the book.........

Peter
21-05-2004, 07:03 PM
There are many flavours of Pinnacle DV (Digital Video). If you have Pinnacle Studio, open it then click on 'Help' to see what version # you have.