PDA

View Full Version : 20 minute boot up time!!

Chemical Ali
19-05-2004, 12:53 AM
Hi

Today it took my previously very healthily specced PC (P4 3GHz, 512Mb RAM ...) almost 20 minutes to boot to the Windows XP log-in screen - a process that has up until now normally only taken 1 minute tops!!!
Naturally I was mystified as to why this could possibly be happening and set about checking all sorts of things including hardware configuration , unscrewing the case and testing connections, scanning old F1 posts, etc, etc.
I was just about to post appealing for help and advice when I glanced across my desk and noticed that I still had my digital camera's memory stick sitting in my external 8-in-1 card reader (which was connected to my PC's USB port) -- a configuration that I don't think I've ever had going before when booting up.
So am wondering if that's what is causing the excessive bootup time as ain't done nothing else to my PC in the last 2-3 days to account for the dramatic change in boot-up performance. Would puzzle me a bit though as I wouldn't have thought that the PC would 'hang' on something like that if I have my BIOS boot sequence set to:
1:HDD
2: CD-ROM
3: floppy
If I'm able to post back on this topic in a couple of minutes then we'll have our answer....

Chemical Ali
19-05-2004, 12:57 AM
Well ...
What'aya know
Shut PC down and removed card reader's USB connection.
It was the memory stick sitting in the attached external card reader
Just performed a flawless 41 second boot up!!!

Susan B
19-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Paul. It is little things like that that can catch you out at times. :-)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
19-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Check your BIOS configuration, I had a machine with a similar issue a couple of days ago.

It had it's boot order set to search for CD-Rom, then removable media, then HDD. It was taking 6 - 8 minutes to boot.

Removed the removable media option from the boot sequence and all was well.