PDA

View Full Version : This page cannot be displayed

Ladybug
18-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi there - Windows XP Home

I am getting This page cannot be displayed ALOT and not just one site - various. Also having probs logging into yahoo and mail washer. I dont appear to have a virus as I have done scan.

Maybe someone can turn the light on for me and give me places to look or things to find to help solve this???

Thanks Bug

whiskeytangofoxtrot
18-05-2004, 06:34 PM
Can you get any web-sites at all?

Is your virus scanner up to date?

Can you get e-mail using a mail client like Outlook Express?

SpyBot?

AdAware?

</usual>

stu120404
18-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Hello Ladybug :)

> I am getting This page cannot be displayed ALOT and
> not just one site - various.

Can you give us the URL to one or two of them, so other people can check them & make sure that the website/ web server is not offline

>Also having probs
> logging into yahoo and mail washer.

What error messengers do you get?

Note for every one else who is reading this Ladybug ISP is Xtra

R2x1
18-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Hi -
Just been worrking on a similar problem on this 'puter. (Not mine) It started after some MS updates (a lot) were applied, and just got worse until the only accessible page was the ISP homepage . I stuck in Firefox as a temporary fix and viola happiness and speed all around. Not allowed to restore IE as the browser now !

Ladybug
18-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Hi -

This normally happens when I have first logged in. I keep trying whatever page and then if I dont have any luck I reboot and things seem to come right. After that I dont appear to have much problem.

It is not any page more than others it can be this one - PF1 or xtra or foodlovers and others, and like I say yahoo and mailwasher as well.

WTF I have tried going direct to Outlook Express not using mailwasher and the same thing - This page cannot be displayed.

My virus definitions are up to date and I have Nortons Antivirus 2003.

Ladybug
18-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Oh and Spybot and Adaware I do not know how when or where to use :(

I'm a little bug with not much knowledge sorry

Jim B
18-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Have you installed all MS updates and patches.
See this MS article.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823386

whiskeytangofoxtrot
18-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Do you have a firewall? Disabling that could be a go.

I would also try going to Start --> Run --> type in "command" without the " and click ok.

Once you have the black and white box up, type in the following exactly:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Then press enter - this will clean out a lot of your networking junk and might stabilise things a bit.

I would definitely advise downloading at least, SpyBot, preferably AdAware as well.

Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org
AdAware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Run the updates and scan your machine with them. Failing that I have got an ace hidden away that you might be able to try.

ephesus
18-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Hi, I am having the same problem as LadyBug - plenty of "this page cannot be displayed". Coincidentally I am also with Xtra.. Jetstream. This started happening during the period when Xtra was having problem with excess mail. Complained to Xtra and some tech guy came out. Said it wasn't my hardware fault and will check at the xchange. Still hasn't heard from them. Does anyone think the problem lie with the ISP? I have firewall, spybot and adware. Also tried another ADSL modem but problems still exist.

Just tried your suggestion whiskeytangofoxtrot but no improvement.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
18-05-2004, 09:59 PM
> Just tried your suggestion whiskeytangofoxtrot but no
> improvement.

Do you get any web traffic at all?

What about e-mail?

ephesus
18-05-2004, 10:10 PM
> Just tried your suggestion whiskeytangofoxtrot but no
> improvement.

What about e-mail?

Email is slow. Always take ages to download a couple of short emails. Using Outlook.
Tried pinging xtra.co.nz but no reply. 100% data loss. Pinging dynalink.co.nz was OK.

ephesus
18-05-2004, 10:12 PM

Apologies. Its OK now with Pressf1. but some sites have the annoying problem of "cannot dispaly". Sometimes it will come right if I reload the page.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
18-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Your problem sounds disjointed. Generally traffic is all or nothing.

Xtra.co.nz is configured not to respond to ping, so you won't get a response if you ping xtra. You could ping mta.xtra.co.nz to get a response.

Might be worth trying a few tracert's to the sites that don't work.

ephesus
19-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Apologies first to Ladybug. Don't mean to highjack your post but felt I might the same problem as you.

<Your problem sounds disjointed. Generally traffic is all or nothing>
Well, my problems seems just that. Sometimes is hunkydory but other times its a problem getting into the web. Do you know what the problem is? ISP perhaps? Thanks.

stu120404
19-05-2004, 12:03 AM
ephesus >

>Coincidentally I am also with Xtra.. Jetstream.

Are you on the 256 K Jetsurf? & Your IP address starts with 222.XXX.XX.XX ???

Ladybug >

> I say yahoo and mailwasher as well.

In Yahoo / mailwasher you cant get "this page cannot be displayed" error message

Do you get something like this " canít find internet connection " or something along those lines?

> WTF I have tried going direct to Outlook Express not
> using mailwasher and the same thing - This page
> cannot be displayed.

?:|

Do you mean trying to open an e-mail? If so is the e-mail just text or html & text? If you know.

ephesus
19-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Sorry, what is tracet's. Pardon for my ignorance.

stu120404
19-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Ladybug >

> Oh and Spybot and Adaware I do not know how when or
> where to use :(

If you want I will right instruction on how to use both of them, seen I have them on my computer :)

ephesus
19-05-2004, 12:15 AM
<Stu 120404
Iam on Jetstream Full spead, not sure about IP address. It just happened again. Click on a link from this forum - pricespy (recommended by a user), and the "Page cannot be displayed" come up again. Can't pinpoint the problem.

Jim B
19-05-2004, 09:47 AM
If it is just links giving the problem try this.

1. Quit all programs that are running.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

It might also be a DNS or IP address problem and this article here (http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/9714DEA906A63445CC256E7C00124349?OpenDocument) comes to mind and may or may not be relevant.

Bogon filtering blocks some sites in NZ

Paul Brislen, Auckland

JetStream users around the country may be unable to access some of their favourite websites because the IP addresses they are assigned are being blocked.

Ladybug
20-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Hi

Well touch wood - this problem has not happened the last couple of days so maybe it was an ISP problem??

JIM B - I dont have KB 823386 but I have saved it to read about TY

WTF - Spybot and Adaware I to have saved to read about but I find when I look at Spybot it comes up CGI limits reached please try again later.

Stu - Mailwasher and Yahoo I just couldnt log in to it didnt come up with page cannot be displayed. And yes if you wish to write those instruction that would be good.

Ephesus - I do not mind at all you hijacking my thread, its good you have cause you have asked some different question.