PDA

View Full Version : Help Me! I locked my self out of my locked PGP disk :(

Gods-Hitman
17-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Hey,
I have a 2 Gig locked disk/File (256EX) and I made this with PGP 8.0 know you have keys right? well I had to reinstall windows (after a bad install with linux) (I fdisk my HHD) know I reinstalled Windows and remade my keys and tryed to unlock my file (I backed it up on my desktop) because of my keys, but then I remembed I had my keys backed up on a USB Memory Stick but I looked inside but they where not there (I must have formated the stick) so I need to get them KEYS BACK!!!! Tell me of some app with and do data recovery on USB Memory Sticks

Thank YOU!!!!
But plz help that 2Gig file has my life in it!!!! (eg cd keys/Passwords/Back ups)

Gods-Hitman
17-05-2004, 08:29 PM
remade my keys and tryed to unlock my file (I backed it up on my desktop)
EDIT:
remade my keys and tryed to unlock my file (I backed it up on my desktop) BUT I would not unlock becasue My keys where remade ones not the real ones

kiki
17-05-2004, 09:05 PM
You could try PC Inspector 3 on the USB key (freeware)...

You're sure it was on the usb key? Because if it wasn't then your data is safely gone. Maybe data recovery services could help you, or someone else might have a better program.

Otherwise what were you thinking :O Mini cd-rs are great for storing encryption keys and aren't as susceptible to erasure.

Billy T
18-05-2004, 10:01 AM
One of the downsides to over-zealous security, be it a computer, a house or a car, is that you have to store spare keys outside the secure environment otherwise if you lose your keyring, you can't get back in without destroying something you value.

At this point you must begin to ask yourself if all that security was really necessary. In your case, I doubt that PGP was needed at all and a lower and less dangerous form of security would have sufficed.

I hope you regain access, but it is unlikely to be easy or cheap, because if it was, that would make PGP worthless.

In future, beware of creeping elegance!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L
18-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Perhaps you could ask the SIS for a copy of any emails you have sent or received. After all, we pay them, so they are public servants. Aren't they? ?:|

The real fun will come when the police search your place and demand the keys to your encrypted files. Fines and jail if you don't hand them over. :D :D :D

PGP is Pretty Good Privacy. Now it's PP: Perfect Privacy.

robsonde
18-05-2004, 01:12 PM
i dont like you chances of getting the keys of the USB drive but have you looked and getting them back of the Hard drive??

even if you formated and re-installed windows it is possable that the keys are still there......

kiki
18-05-2004, 04:42 PM
> Perhaps you could ask the SIS for a copy of any emails you have sent or received. After all, we pay them, so they are public servants. Aren't they?

:^O But even if they did, what would they gain? The public keys? They aren't too much use.

> PGP is Pretty Good Privacy. Now it's PP: Perfect Privacy.

:^O Perfect privacy would be a one-time pad but PGP doesn't use that ;)

You might be able to get something off the disk, thats not impossible. Perhaps a bootable disk or something, chances are you might have overwritten it already.

Graham L
18-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Perfect Privacy is what we've got here: a write-only disk. :D