PDA

View Full Version : Error when Drives are clicked.

Growly
16-05-2004, 07:00 PM
I recently bought another (the second identical one) Seagate Barracuda 7.200 120GB SATA Hard Drive.

When i first installed it, windows froze, and froze, and kept on randomly freezing. Then, a few restarts later, i managed to log in before it would freeze on that screen and it hasnt frozen since. (I'm not running RAID)

But a couple of times today, when I've gone to open a folder or drive, an error has popped up telling me that it couldnt open the folder, and something to do with memory could not be written. I'm sorry i dont have the exact error, but if it comes up again i'll get it to you.

I figured it may be the ram, so I'm currently running Memtest86 on it, and it's passed about 7 tests in 3 and a bit hours.

Any ideas on what caused it?

Cheers

mikebartnz
16-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Drivers for the sata drive.

Growly
16-05-2004, 11:23 PM
For the drive or for the controller?

I have had real problems in the past with this, and I have the latest, and the most stable version now... which worked perfectly.

I use the VIA chipset, and have version 2.20D......

Any more ideas?

mikebartnz
16-05-2004, 11:47 PM
Yeah I did mean the controller but it sounds like you have already covered that.

Steve Askew
17-05-2004, 06:56 AM
try running seagate (http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/) diagnostic tools.

Steve

Growly
17-05-2004, 04:45 PM
I'll try that, cheers...

any more ideaS?

Growly
17-05-2004, 10:21 PM
OK i ran Seagate tools, (took 3 hours), and it came up with a message that both file drives' file systems have one or more critical errors. Didn't elaborate. Ran Windows scandisk, The second drive was fine and the first didnt complete.

But surface scan was perfect and there are no bad sectors yet.

Though it seems tedious and pointless, this is the log from the seagate scan:

*You can ignore from here*

SeaTools Desktop v2.1.05
Copyright (c) 2004 Kroll Ontrack Inc.
5/17/2004 @ 5:03 PM

The following information has been generated by the SeaTools Desktop. Use this information to help you recognize and resolve potential data access problems in a timely manner.

System Information:
BIOS Date 11/12/03
Conventional Memory size 630 K
Extended Memory size 522164 K
IO Channel type PCI

Drive Information:
DRIVE SIZE MODEL
----- --------- ---------------------
1 120.03 GB ST3120026AS
Serial Number = 3JT2KHZ3
Int13 Num = 80, PHYS CHS = 14593x255x63.
ParmTable CHS, Rsvd = 14593x255x63

PARTITION CYLINDER SIZE
---------- ------------ ----
# Type Start End MB
PRIMARY
1 NTFS 0 14592 120031

DRIVE SIZE MODEL
----- --------- ---------------------
2 120.03 GB ST3120026AS
Serial Number = 3JT4C6JF
Int13 Num = 81, PHYS CHS = 14593x255x63.
ParmTable CHS, Rsvd = 14593x255x63

PARTITION CYLINDER SIZE
---------- ------------ ----
# Type Start End MB
PRIMARY
1 NTFS 0 14592 120031

Diagnostic Results:
Drive 1 (ST3120026AS)
SMART Status Check Result: Unknown
90-Second Test Result: Passed
File Structure Test Result: Failed
Partition 1 (No Label) Result: Failed with critical Errors

Complete Surface Scan Result: Passed

Drive 2 (ST3120026AS)
Partition 1 (Local Disk) Result: Failed with critical Errors

S.M.A.R.T., (S)elf (M)onitoring (A)nalysis and (R)eporting (T)echnology, a built-in hard disk drive failure prediction method reports an 'Alert' if a problem has occurred. It reports 'Passed' if no problems are found and 'Unsupported' if a hard disk drive does not support S.M.A.R.T.

Diagnostic Summary:
System Memory Test Result: Passed

Drive 1 (ST3120026AS)

Recommendation:
If you are not experiencing data loss and SeaTools reports File System Structure errors, they may be caused by a lock-up or failure to shutdown Windows correctly. Many times, these errors may be repaired through normal system maintenance. If you are experiencing a hardware error, you should isolate the cause and replace the failing component. If you are unsure how to proceed with repairs, contact a computer professional. After completing any maintenance tasks, run SeaTools again to verify that all errors have been repaired. If errors continue to occur, the system may not be stable. Again, contact a computer professional.

Drive 2 (ST3120026AS)

Recommendation:
If you are not experiencing data loss and SeaTools reports File System Structure errors, they may be caused by a lock-up or failure to shutdown Windows correctly. Many times, these errors may be repaired through normal system maintenance. If you are experiencing a hardware error, you should isolate the cause and replace the failing component. If you are unsure how to proceed with repairs, contact a computer professional. After completing any maintenance tasks, run SeaTools again to verify that all errors have been repaired. If errors continue to occur, the system may not be stable. Again, contact a computer professional.

SeaTools Desktop v2.1.05
Copyright (c) 2004 Kroll Ontrack Inc.

*Until here*

Psst, i'm not contacting a computer professional (that's their excuse for "if something's wrong tell someone who gets paid to pretend to care")

mikebartnz
17-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Smart should be enabled unless it is disabled in the bios

Growly
18-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Hopefull these drives are compatible.

Anyway, heres that error. To me it seems like corrupt Windows probably from bad data handling as the result of the HDD controller.

Explorer.EXE - Application Error

The instruction at "0x77f57ec4" referenced memory at "0x00000067". The memory could not be "written".

I would blame memory about now, but that checked out perfectly as I mentioned earlier...

Two more with the same title popped up:

The exception unknown software exception (0xc015000f) occurred in the application at location 0x77f6fca7.

Each message popped up once or twice, explorer died and restarted, then the same messages popped up again.

It now looks as if it is a memory problem, but it bafoozles me as to why the memory passed every test... which leaves me with two other thoughts:

1) Could it be a program error, as I said before, caused by corrupt files as a result of mishandling of data by the HDD Controller?

2) Could it be referring to the Virtual Memory and then it will once again be the fault of the Controller? The hard drives seem to be spick and span...

Thanks again for all your help guys,