PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Office XP macro and toolbar settings between systems.

cbai
15-05-2004, 07:33 PM
I am currently running MS Office XP with Windows ME, and am in the process of upgrading to Windows XP. this will mean a new install of Office XP in my new system.

Question, How do I transfer my modified toolbars, macros and other settings unique to my system from the old system.

thanks for your help

mikebartnz
15-05-2004, 09:31 PM
You need to copy your normal.dot file and any other .dot files you may have. That will transfer most of your settings.

parry
16-05-2004, 06:28 PM
Hi, as Mike has pointed out for MS Word Normal.dot normally holds the toolbar and macro's you create unless you save within a specific document. Backup this file plus your templates (*.dot) and any other documents (*.doc) for transfer.

For Excel, macros can be contained within the specific workbook (*.xls), Addins (*.xla) or templates (*.xlt) so copy these files over. If you have created icons that sit in Excels standard toolbar (that were manually created rather than built each time by code) I would create your own toolbar (View|Toolbars|Customize|Toolbars tab|New button) and drag the custom macro icons over to this toolbar. When you create toolbars Excel stores these as *.xlb files usually located in C:\Documents and Settings\(user ID)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel depending upon your version and what O/S your using. Its just a matter of transfering the XLB file/s over to your new system. See 'Save more than one toolbar configuration' under Excel help for more info.

Im not sure what happens for Access/PowerPoint/Outlook as far as retaining settings.

Also have a look in the MSKB (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-NZ;KBHOWTO) as there may be some tools to assist in the process.