PDA

View Full Version : mailwasher/ing

effie C
15-05-2004, 03:31 PM
Hi,
my fascetious headline is to soften the blow against the owners of Mailwasher, as no serious criticism is intended.-- I just want to clean my mail. :-(

My main e mail address has been sold to the US and it was nothing, to get 80 spam a day- so, with this Mailwasher- I have got it down to about 20 ( some cannot be bounced, so are repetitive) but my main irritation is - having set the checking times to 4 minutes and it worked well - until after about 8 or 9 auto checks- it suddenly reverts to " error in passwordand/or user name."

I then, after asking for guidance from the authors, received a somewhat rambling recommendation that " don't import my e mail address and other similar comments.- but type them in manually.

O K, I uninstalled and re installed the programme and delayed the check time to 15 minutes- same result - after a few checks it throws a wobbly and the only answer is to cancel the program then re open it to get, as usual a few automatic checkings, before,then get the same error notice.

One of my young tutors said he had come upon this problem too - on other progarms- he says "it is like getting the recorded message on an answerphone . redialing immediately and getting a busy tone ( as though there IS somebody at home)- but he says this is because the answerphone has not had time enough to reset"

Has anybody got an answer- I intend to send a cheque when, and if this is resolved- it is not the money, but the lack of confidence that by paying it will be a waste of money.

effie c

stu120404
15-05-2004, 03:44 PM
> My main e mail address has been sold to the US and
> it was nothing, to get 80 spam a day- so, with this
> Mailwasher- I have got it down to about 20 ( some
> cannot be bounced, so are repetitive) but my main
> irritation is - having set the checking times to 4
> minutes and it worked well - until after about 8 or
> 9 auto checks- it suddenly reverts to " error in
> passwordand/or user name."

Have you thought it might be the mail server??

Is this your ISP mail account?

what verson of mailwasher are you using?

stu120404
15-05-2004, 03:47 PM
As I have never had that problem before (but I am using mailwasher version 1.33)

So I am thinking it is the mail server or the version of mailwaser you have.

Billy T
15-05-2004, 03:53 PM
Do you really need to check so often effie?

Why not set it to longer intervals and do a manual check if you need to look at your mail. I had a huge problem with my son's account (his address previously belonged to a wild surfer who was into everything, if you get my drift) and we got well over 5000 virus messages over a couple of weeks at the beginning of the recent troubles.

I just got in the habit of starting Mailwasher when I needed to check my mail, then after mail processing download what's left. The problem dies down after a while, but I can still expect five or six spam or virus messages a day.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Neil McC
15-05-2004, 05:07 PM
effie,mine is set to check every 10 minutes,and has never played up!Sorry,not much help I know.

godfather
15-05-2004, 05:53 PM
This does not sound so much a problem with mailwasher as with the ISP, perhaps the servers are a bit overloaded and failing the authentication at times? If mailwasher works once, then the settings are not wrong quite obviously.

Also, can I suggest not "bouncing" the emails, but just deleting them?

The perpetrators of the spam will NEVER go back to that email account, all responses to their spam are to web addresses contained in links in the spam. Often the email account will have been swiftly closed by the ISP having been reported for spamming, so its dead traffic.

Bouncing the emails just puts unwanted internet traffic back on the servers, overloading them and causing everyone to get delays.

Bouncing the mail may make you feel better, but its not usually helpful to everyone else in a cumulative traffic sense.

I check my email avery few minutes, and very occasionally it will fail but Eudora handles that well. The spam filter in Eudora 6 works very well.

Scouse
15-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi Effie. I run Mailwasher 4.0 on Xtra at 15 minute checks and have no problems.

effie C
15-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Hi Scouse- where did you get v 4- I have only been able to get v2- and it twas mentioned above that he has v 1.33-
I have set the check at 15 minutes anyway after the first debacle.

Godfather, as usual may have something the ISP that I use as my default is not that big and I wonder if that is the trouble- I have my original ISP address but as they are too hungry for unlimited usuage when this smaller and at one time -free usuage( tho not nowadays)ISP came up - I now mainly use that.

Certainly it has "errored" even by checking at 15 minutes--
one thing I am glad of- my spam has dropped dramaticly- thank God- so perhaps I must do as D F said and do it manually

effie c

Scouse
15-05-2004, 09:24 PM
Hi effie. Version 4.0 is from www.firetrust.com - a freebee to users of v.3, (I think) but otherwise it costs. When Nick first released Mailwasher as "shareware" I liked it and sent him a small donation. When he went commercial I think he sent the commercial version free to everyone who had sent him anything. He certainly sent it to me. Since then it has just been a free upgrade to v.3 and recently to v.4. Scouse.

Rod J
15-05-2004, 11:40 PM
Hi Effie,

I'm using Mailwasher Pro 3.3 and have occasional log in errors with my Hotmail account (but with Hotmail that's not so unusual in any case) but I've never had a problem with my main Slingshot account.

I agree with godfather re email bouncing ... I found it counterproductive as quite a few of the junk mailers seemed to retaliate by spoofing my email address so when I tried to bounce it back to them it just boomeranged back to me again. Just a waste of time; deleting is the best way.

Rod.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
16-05-2004, 02:54 AM
I'm running the latest version of MailWasher Pro from FireTrust.

I don't save the password in it, as I check multiple different accounts a day so am consistently changing the details in it.

I find that every single time I start it, enter a user and pass, it fails the first authentication and goes through the second time. No rhyme or reason for it, and definitely isn't the mail server.

Maybe there is a bug.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
16-05-2004, 02:57 AM
Incidentally I am so much in love with ThunderBird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/) at the moment.

It's fast, it's slick, the spam filtering is excellent. Solid as a rock and a lot better featured than OE.

kiki
16-05-2004, 03:36 AM
Yes I like Thunderbird too, its great for managing multiple email accounts. It can be a pain importing your settings/mail folders back again after a reinstall of windows, and I do that quite often (14th time in 2months :O).

Just for those that are interested I found the nightly editions of firefox and thunderbird. Supposedly these are the ones that have had some of the bugs fixed and the newer versions are there in beta form.

Thunderbird (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/latest-0.6/) (up to 0.6, very nice)

Firefox (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/)

Try going back a few directories if you want linux versions etc.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
16-05-2004, 03:58 AM
> and I do that quite often (14th
> time in 2months :O).

Umm.. woah.

I am currently in the 4th year of my current Windows install. It was originally a W2K install, installed towards the end of 2001, and upgraded to WXP in Dex of 2001.

Although that said I am now at the stage where a resintall is required... was planning it in the next month or so, unfortunately I have too much pressing uni and work stuff to sit down and tinker with my own junk.

Scouse
16-05-2004, 05:41 PM
It can be a pain importing your settings/mail folders back again after a reinstall of windows, and I do that quite often (14th time in 2months ).

WHY?

Neil McC
16-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Sorry effie,mine did the same thing today as you've described!Remember now that it has done it on the odd occasion.I just press check mail and it clears.

Neil McC
17-05-2004, 06:19 PM
The continuing saga.Did it again today effie,so tried starting up Outlook Express,and that came back with the same message,so don't think it's a mailwasher problemo!Now both working ok.