PDA

View Full Version : Where oh where has my QT gone?

Shaun Minfie
14-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Hey there guys n gals,

I'm running Xandros Desktop 2 here and am trying to install dc-qt-0.1.0.

I spent quite a bit of time installing libs and what not from Xandros Network (why cant they install them by default?)

Running ./configure gets me:

checking for Qt moc... "found in /usr/bin"
checking for Qt libraries...
Qt libs not found! If you have installed Qt in an
unusual place, please use the "--with-qt-libs=" option

So I duly updatedb and locate qt:

/usr/lib/qt3 looks like a winna to me.

Alas no. Any ideas oh great and wonder PF1'ers?

Cheers
Shaun

Chilling_Silence
15-05-2004, 10:09 AM
> I'm running Xandros Desktop 2 here and am trying to
> install dc-qt-0.1.0.
Im sure somebody said there was a Binary somewhere for debian for that if you dont have any luck compiling

> I spent quite a bit of time installing libs and what
> not from Xandros Network (why cant they install them
> by default?)
Can I enquire what libs were missing?
I run Gentoo and this is what dcgui-qt needs for me:
giflib
lcms
libmng
xfree
libungif
qt3
dclib-0.2.21
dcgui-qt-0.2.21

Do you mean the development tools were missing??

> Running ./configure gets me:
>
> checking for Qt moc... "found in /usr/bin"
> checking for Qt libraries...
> Qt libs not found! If you have installed Qt in an
> unusual place, please use the "--with-qt-libs="
> option
>
Have you tried:
./configure --prefix=/usr --with-qt-libs=/usr/libs/qt3

> So I duly updatedb and locate qt:
>
> /usr/lib/qt3 looks like a winna to me.
>
> Alas no. Any ideas oh great and wonder PF1'ers?
When you say "alas no." what exactly do you mean?
Did you try something like what I posted above??

Hope this helps

Chill.

Jen C
15-05-2004, 10:27 AM
The dc-qt and dcgui-qt programs both require QT. On Xandros, the /usr/lib/qt3 only contains a couple of plugin libraries and not the QT files (this is on the Standard Edition 2.0).

I couldn't see a debian binary for qt, but there are rpm's available that you could try to convert to a deb format using Xandros. However, you can download the source from here (http://www.trolltech.com/download/qt/x11.html) and compile it yourself.

Another much easier alternative is to use a GTK+ based dc client - this doesn't require QT. There is one on the Xandros Networks which may suit you. Switch to Expert View and then search for "dcgui". This package will install the program and all the required dependencies (~5.2 MB). You can then find the launch for this app under Launch > Apps > Net > DCgui.

Terry Porritt
15-05-2004, 10:45 AM
I had a similar problem trying to install Showmail, there is a thread somewhere, But I had to go to the site Jen refers to get Qt/X11 free edition.
I downloaded the source file and did the configure /make/make install rigmarole and it installed ok. Then I was able to continue installing Showmail. ( I half feared it would say I needed Qt/X11 already installed in order to be able to configure it, like Showmail did :) )

Shaun Minfie
15-05-2004, 06:19 PM
> > I'm running Xandros Desktop 2 here and am trying
> to
> > install dc-qt-0.1.0.
> Im sure somebody said there was a Binary somewhere
> for debian for that if you dont have any luck
> compiling

Yip Tried that with the same result

> > I spent quite a bit of time installing libs and
> what
> > not from Xandros Network (why cant they install
> them
> > by default?)
> Can I enquire what libs were missing?
> I run Gentoo and this is what dcgui-qt needs for me:
> giflib
> lcms
> libmng
> xfree
> libungif
> qt3
> dclib-0.2.21
> dcgui-qt-0.2.21
>
> Do you mean the development tools were missing??
>

Yeah
> > Running ./configure gets me:
> >
> > checking for Qt moc... "found in /usr/bin"
> > checking for Qt libraries...
> > Qt libs not found! If you have installed Qt in an
> > unusual place, please use the "--with-qt-libs="
> > option
> >
> Have you tried:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> --with-qt-libs=/usr/libs/qt3

Sorry, yeah I should have been clearer. I tried that and anythong else I could think of.

See reply to Jen's post below :)

Cheers
Shaun

Shaun Minfie
15-05-2004, 07:18 PM
> The dc-qt and dcgui-qt programs both require QT. On
> Xandros, the /usr/lib/qt3 only contains a couple of
> plugin libraries and not the QT files (this is on the
> Standard Edition 2.0).

I had started to wonder this

> I couldn't see a debian binary for qt, but there are
> rpm's available that you could try to convert to a
> deb format using Xandros. However, you can download
> the source from
> her
> (http://www.trolltech.com/download/qt/x11.html) and compile it yourself.

Yeah I will give that a go tomorrow.

> Another much easier alternative is to use a GTK+
> based dc client - this doesn't require QT. There is
> one on the Xandros Networks which may suit you.
> Switch to Expert View and then search for "dcgui".
> This package will install the program and all the
> e required dependencies (~5.2 MB). You can then find
> the launch for this app under Launch > Apps > Net >
> DCgui.

Hmmm not in my Xandros network.

Jen C
15-05-2004, 10:29 PM
>Hmmm not in my Xandros network.

Did you select the Debian depository under one of the options along the top tool bar, and then select "Expert Mode" before searching? I found the package OK and installed it via Xandros Networks. I can't double check my settings at the moment as I have a wee technical problem with kdeinit not being able to start and I am sitting in a CLI only at the moment (different machine to current one of course!) :p

Jen C
15-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Back! :D

OK, I have fixed my Xandros now and have KDE running again. Out of interest it looks like I killed KDE by installing a QT package (converted from a rpm into a deb) which was not compatible with the rest of the system. Removing QT restored my system. Was doing a little testing/fiddling this afternoon ... :p

Anyhow back on track ..
In Xandros Networks you need to go Edit > Set Application Sources > and also select "Debian unsupported site". Then select Settings > Expert View. You will now be able to find the dcgui package. This app is still alpha which is why you can't find it on the Xandros distribution site.

Shaun Minfie
16-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Yeah thanks for that Jen. I found it in the end.

I am currently in the middle of a major drive organise so Xandros has been removed from the system. Its easier to reinstall linux than XP lol.

At the moment it will be Xandros going back on unless anyone can convince me that there is another dist that is relatively easy to mantain.

Cheers
Shaun

Murray P
16-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Mepi Linux (http://www.mepis.org/?PHPSESSID=1ebb312d91d3ede162b25ed136c80dd4)

Cheers Murray P

PS. Chill do you still want a copy to look at?

Chilling_Silence
16-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Ark Linux (http://www.arklinux.org)

Still in Alpha though, but its making waves in the Desktop area, just as Ive noticed Xandros do :-)

Murray>
Yes, please, would you mind emailing me, as I keep losing my Address book.... :-(

Jen C
16-05-2004, 10:49 PM
> Ark Linux (http://www.arklinux.org)
>
> Still in Alpha though, but its making waves in the
> Desktop area, just as Ive noticed Xandros do :-)

Well I currently dual boot Xandros and Ark Linux (alpha11) on a spare machine so I can compare them directly. Xandros 2.0 (standard edition) is a very nice OS's which is easy to maintain via the Xandros Networks but comes with not many apps. Very user friendly and the / is well hidden from casual browsing (not a good point in my case). I especially like the automatically included nvidia driver. It overall has a nice polished look.

Ark is also easy to maintain via its Kynaptic program from which you can install/update/remove packages. It is more on the cutting edge when it comes to packages and kernels. The Ark Linux alpha11 comes with the 2.4.26-0 kernel by default, but has the 2.6.5 kernel on the Extra Software CD. It also has most of my favourite applications like K3b and media players included. It is more open about its Linux roots and hasn't been dressed up to be window-like. It is a rpm based distro (based on Red Hat I believe).

I still love my Fedora though :D

Murray P
16-05-2004, 11:04 PM
> Murray>
> Yes, please, would you mind emailing me, as I keep
> losing my Address book.... :-(

Will boot back to doze to find your addy. still haven't figured out how to import my addys into Mozilla (Linux) from Thunderbird (doze). Managed to import my bookmarks from Firefox and a few other essentials. Anybody got a how to? Jen, Chill??

See ya on the dark side soon ]:).

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
16-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Check your inbox Chill.

Cheers Murray P

Shaun Minfie
17-05-2004, 06:56 PM
Ok, heres my line of thought.

Xandros is nice and I like it, but its almost to polished if you know what I mean. They have done a great job but its not for everybody.

Fedora I like. I may give this a go this time around.

Cheers for ya input

Shaun

Jen C
17-05-2004, 07:46 PM
>still haven't figured out how to import my addys into Mozilla (Linux) from Thunderbird (doze).
Murray
On Thunderbird and Mozilla Mail, both the address books are in the LDIF format. In Thunderbird you need to open up the Address Book and then go Tools > Export. Save the file somewhere handy and then transfer it over to the Linux partition. Open up Mozilla Mail and go Tools > Import > Address Book. Navigate to your saved LDIF file. See if this works, I haven't actually tried this myself ... :D

Another choice is to use Thunderbird on both OS's (BTW - did you know Thunderbird is now on release 0.6 (http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/index.html)). The Windows version also has an autoinstaller like Firefox now :). Anyhow back on track, you can share your emails between OS's using the one inbox/settings - read how here (http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/share_mail.html).

>Fedora I like. I may give this a go this time around.
Shaun
Don't go downloading or installing Fedora just yet! Fedora Core 2 is being released to the general masses on the 18th May. Not sure what this equates to in NZ timewise. Check out the nearest mirrors over the next day or two.
NZ ftp server for Fedora Core 2 (ftp://ftp.wicks.co.nz/pub/linux/dist/fedora/).
Complete list of Fedora Mirrors (http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html)

Murray P
17-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Thanks Jen, and to you Shaun for your forebearance.

Jen, Thanks for the tips. I have all my mailboxes across the various domains shared between the OS's. It's the address book and mail I've had problems with. I've not had any trouble snaffling any other files I want to bring into the light. Mind I haven't tried anything overly ambitious in Linux yet.

I've been rooting around in windows Program Files\Thunderbird\.. and Documents and Settings\etc\ etc....., from Linux trying to track the sods down but, Mozilla doesn't want to recognise the file types. I'll try your suggestion to export and save as then import as now you say it, it does seem the most practical and sensible way to do it (a normal save and restore of mail files, who would have thought :8} ).

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silence
17-05-2004, 10:01 PM
If they both use the same mailbox format, then why not mount the Windows drive via the fstab, make it user-writable, and point your email program to use the same folder as the Windows drive for emails, that way you share Mailbox no matter what OS?!

Worked for my family....

Chill.