PDA

View Full Version : word fails to run

gramps
14-05-2004, 06:57 PM
My daughter could not connect to the internet ,a very slow computer had never run defrag etc.

I did a clean up,checked ms config removed about 20 start up options,other little things taken from pcworld got on the internet and all running smoothly except when she logs on to her work computer and tries to acess word or excel a ctrl/alt/del gives program not responding.A computer reset is required.
Any clues as to what to look for would be appreciated.

Regards Gramps

robo
14-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Not sure what the problem is, but best plan would be uninstall, then delete the directories inside Program Files, then install again to ensure it is clean. Some files are installed into Windows directory but hopefully that won't matter (no idea how you delete those separately).
robo.

robo
14-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Sorry, delete the Office directory inside c:\program files\ and all it's subdirectories.
NOT all directories in there.
robo.

tommy
14-05-2004, 07:08 PM
A repair of Office may fix the problem. Go to Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Office and choose Remove. It will give you some options - choose Repair. You will need the Office CD disc.

Murray P
14-05-2004, 07:21 PM
What version of windows (98 I guess), IE, office/word and what is the remote software she's using to access the work machine.

Did you run Adaware, Spybot, CWshredder, etc, to do the cleanout or just delete startup items. If you removed some files without say, removing the activeX controls (C:\WINNT_or_ Windows\Downloaded Program Files) or programmes themselves you may have dependencies that no longer work. Unfortunately rolling back the registry probably won't do much so you will have to track them down one by one and even then reinstall some app's as robo suggests.

Cheers Murray P