PDA

View Full Version : Speedy copper

TonyF
14-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Chatting to someone today about broadband, and he mentioned that his connection at home is 56 Megs via Telecom. His son is something in software and arranged it. This is over plain old copper wire in the Hutt Valley.

56 megs ! Sounds splendid. Does anyone know a higher figure for copper ? Roll on unbundling ??

Cheers Tony

Murray P
14-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Hmmm, and you can vouch for this blokes tech cred Tony, looks uncannily like 56k, ah oh ;)

Personally, I don't think telecom have the equipment to pump 56MB in residential areas. Can they even do that for businesses?

Cheers Murray P

TonyF
14-05-2004, 07:09 PM
> Hmmm, and you can vouch for this blokes tech cred
> Tony, looks uncannily like 56k, ah oh ;)
>
> Personally, I don't think telecom have the equipment
> to pump 56MB in residential areas. Can they even do
> that for businesses?
Son at home uses it to DL 100 meg files regularly as work. I think cred is OK.We discussed whether it was a fibre connect or special wiring. Seems ordinary copper. No doubt readers who know the answers will spring up.
Cheers T

godfather
14-05-2004, 07:58 PM
http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/chartbusiness.htm

Looks like 44 MB is about the limit before Fibre-optic is used?.

Cost is simply horrendous though (US$), as the bandwidth on the backbone would need to be sustained.

Murray P
14-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Ouch! that would require a slightly bigger comm budget.

Cheers Murray P

godfather
14-05-2004, 08:44 PM
And I would think the availability in NZ would be very limited, over copper.

CBD fibre-optic links could deliver I imagine.

stevee
14-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Standard copper offerings from Telecom and Telstra stop at 2Mbit/s symettrical or 8M/0.7M asymmetrical (i.e. jetStream full speed). Any delivery above that speed is normally done via purpose-built fibre optic links (with appropriate pricing).

There is a technology known as VDSL which allows speeds of up to 52Mbit/s on short runs of copper (300m or so max) but I believe that at present it is only used on some private networks, e.g. campuses.

Duck
15-05-2004, 09:01 PM
Telecom for sure must be experimenting with VDSL, which allows for that kind of speed over copper. As it limits the length of the copper loop to somewhere between 500 and 1000 meter, widescale deployment would Telecom to bring fibre much closer to their customers and install heaps of new streetside cabinets...not something they would enjoy doing...

VDSL is widely deployed in countries like Japan, Belgium and Canada, although mostly in apartment buildings.

TonyF
15-05-2004, 10:54 PM
> Telecom for sure must be experimenting with VDSL,
> which allows for that kind of speed over copper. As
> it limits the length of the copper loop to somewhere
> between 500 and 1000 meter,
Hello Duck. I think that must be it. My contact seems to be in an area of new cabling and some 300 m from an exchange. I will seek out more info.
No doubt we have Telecom people lurking here who can add to this.
Cheers Tony

TonyF
15-05-2004, 11:51 PM
> Telecom for sure must be experimenting with VDSL,

Hello again Duck. Lotsa stuff on Google on VDSL.
See http://www.comcom.govt.nz/telecommunications/ llu/LLUConferenceTranscriptDay2.PDF in which Telecom discusses reasons against unbundling and mentions the various hispeed options.
T

TonyF
15-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Oops. See vsdl (http://www.comcom.govt.nz/telecommunications/ llu/LLUConferenceTranscriptDay2.PDF)

TonyF
16-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Oops again - not thinking. That was the ref on Google to s earch on VDSL NZ.
Sorry.
Tonyf

Duck
16-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Well TonyF, as long as we don't even get a decent ADSL deal from Telecom (with their $50 per GB or so over the cap for the lousy-speed Jetstream, and $200 per GB for the full-speed Jetstream), it doesn't help much to daydream about VDSL, does it?

TonyF
18-05-2004, 01:15 PM
> Well TonyF, as long as we don't even get a decent
> ADSL deal from Telecom (with their $50 per GB or so
> over the cap for the lousy-speed Jetstream, and $200
> per GB for the full-speed Jetstream), it doesn't help
> much to daydream about VDSL, does it?
Indeed yes. Chatted to my 56 meg contact today, and it is VDSL they have. He mentioned that when he and his son are on together downloading, they each get only a miserable 28 megs ....

Ah well ....