PDA

View Full Version : One for a wireless network expert

Berryb
14-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Have a wireless network running in Ad-Hoc mode and had problems from day one. Connection dropping between the PC and Laptop. Connection strength is always good to excellent. Over the past couple of days it has been going OK until last night. For no reason it just stopped, the laptop showed it connecting and then disconnecting so uninstall the card and reinstalled it. Ran the set up network wizard and got a connection again. The PCI card shows good connection but a speed of 1 or none most times while the Laptop shows 54. Most of my problems over the time I have being trying to get this to work are at the PC end.

The question I have is does anyone know why it would just stop for no reason and loose the connection unless the card is faulty?

System resources are fine. When it does go fine I can play mpeg files on both computers with files being used from across the network. Copy 200mb in 220 secs then just slow down to nothing.

It is not an interference problem. No cordless phone, microwave not going and live at least 1 km from anyone.

Help anyone.

CYaBro
14-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Are the two cards of the same brand?

Have you tried downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturers website? I have had problems like this and pretty much every time an updated driver fixed the problem. One other time it was a faulty PCI card.

Berryb
14-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Yep, cards are of the same brand and have the lastest drivers. I reckon it is a faulty PCI card but trying to get the supplier ito lisen is like mission impossible.
Godd to know though that someone has had this prob due to a faulty card. Thanks