PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Inbox

bba12
13-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Hi All

My Dad's Outlook Express crashed. I think his inbox just got too full. This left the application hanging with an "hour-glass". I made a copy of the inbox, deleted it, reinstalled OE 6 and all is working ok. How do I open the inbox.dbx file that I made a copy of? It contains several unopened emails. I have tried opening it within OE on my computer but also get the hanging hour-glass.

I use Mozilla & have suggested he changes too.

Any help much appreciated :)

Murray P
13-05-2004, 11:23 PM
From memory. File > Import > Emails and brwse to where the .dbx file is stored.

Cheers Murray P

Susan B
14-05-2004, 01:01 PM
If the .dbx folder still can't be opened your father ought to be able to access his emails by extracting them with DBXtract (http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx).

bba12
16-05-2004, 06:31 PM
BRILLIANT, Susan B you have saved us. DBXtract worked a treat!!!

Many many thanks :) :)

aNtzy
16-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Did you try the import first? I'm rather curious as to how well it works as I've never tired importing a dbx.file before.

bba12
16-05-2004, 07:04 PM
No aNtzy, the import didn't work. I searched for the inbox and found it under an identities folder. Copied the folder to CD and opened the CD on my computer, then used DBXtract to extract the emails to a folder I had made on the desktop. I think the import function is used to import from another email client to OE.

Hope that helps :)

aNtzy
16-05-2004, 07:12 PM
Yep. kinda clears things up ... cheers dude.

Susan B
16-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Glad to hear that you rescued your emails. :-)

Regarding importing the Inbox, a direct import of the .dbx file off the CD will not work as it will have the Read Only attribute. If you copy the .dbx file/s to the hard drive first, remove the read only attribute and then point the import wizard to that location it should work.

One tip that I read long ago is to create another folder/s in Outlook Express and move messages from the Inbox regularly to keep it fairly empty. Not sure if it still applies or not but apparently the Inbox was prone to throwing a wobbly if it got too full.