PDA

View Full Version : PressF1 login problems - password reset, new accounts back on

marke
13-05-2004, 05:46 PM
UPDATE 9:30am Friday : The reset password function and new account creation have now been turned back on.

Hi all,

Just to keep you updated on the problems we've been experiencing on PressF1. The user-authentication system has been showing an intermittent fault (on two different machines). We suspect that it was data-related so have rebuilt the user database - and in the process compacted it dramatically.

Hopefully this will resolve the problem and normal transmission can resume. In the meantime, James has disabled the ability to use the "forgotten password" option, and also disabled new user registration. We'll turn this on again in a few hours, when we're confident things are running smoothly again.

Thanks for you patience .. and we apologise for the disruptions ... this was a tricky problem to trace. Hopefully we've managed to do so ...

Now to look at the speed issues ...

Thanks again

Mark Evans
CTO & Online Business Manager
IDG Communications Ltd

[Edited by: admin on May 14, 2004 9:31 AM]

Jester
13-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Cheers Mark - it aint the same looking through the messages in Guest mode with all the messages staggered and out of sequence :|

marke
13-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Yeah ... not to mention nothing new appearing! ;-)

We're really sorry about the frustrating outages .. believe me it's even more frustrating for us!

Cheers

Mark

TonyF
13-05-2004, 06:28 PM
>
> We're really sorry about the frustrating outages ..
> believe me it's even more frustrating for us!

Bravo Mark and James - the gnomes of IDG.
The best of luck .......

marke
13-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Confuscious say "never call men with administrator privileges Gnomes, lest posting privileges disappear"!!!

:-)

But I know what you mean, and thanks ...

Mark

Murray P
13-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Some of the less secure attendees thought that BB had finally lost patience (or the plot but keep the latter to yourself please B-) ). Another theory was that the new Mod had got the scent of power a little too strongly. My own advice is to remove all toys from the robo's person, especially remotes and WiFi devices ;)

Cheers Murray ;P

kiki
13-05-2004, 08:10 PM
lmao Murray :^O

Jester
13-05-2004, 08:13 PM
and whatever you do, don't mention any of the following around Robo - it sends him into an uncontrollable spin and you can't stop him

Woosh
Accounting
Digital Photography
Writing Books

stu120404
13-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Good work Mark and James & the rest of the IDG IT team for giving Press F1 some TLC :x :)

Press F1 seems happier then it was, hopefully it will stay like this for some time :)

Chilling_Silence
13-05-2004, 11:24 PM
FAQ list loads immediately for me...

The Networking FAQ took about 30 seconds then opened in a flash :-)

Good on you guys for sticking with it :-)

Chill.

Chilling_Silence
13-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Hehehe... Posted in the wrong sticky thread.... That's what happens when you've got 9 tabs open at once and they all say:
PressF1 - New Zealand's PC World......

;-)

brewer
15-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Chill, create another window.

Chilling_Silence
16-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Multiple browser windows? Whats that???

;-)

Growly
16-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Bahaha

Did i mention that firefox is trying to make me cry?

When the place first went down I thought it was the usual.. then i thought it was firefox, and now I still think it was the usual....