PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with my Computer?

csinclair83
13-05-2004, 03:40 PM
As I told Pressf1 i was gonna reformat/partition...i ended up reformatting tuesday night and didnt partitition the computer...

Anyway...

Before I reformatted my comp, i had a few keyboard issues, spacebar and delete and return dont work as normal as they do, sometimes they dont work at all, sometimes they do..
so I got a external keyboard off a friend to use for the mean time...
....Computer reformatted......

Issue was solved but then 1-2 hours later the issue resumed again like the reformatting didnt do anything apart from tidy my laptop up...

Was told that it was a bios issue but knowing me i wouldnt know what that is apart from it being the main core of the computer...

So what actually is wrong with my computer?

(sorry i say computer when its actually a laptop)

Am Running WindowsXp Home Edition
One User only- Me :)

Cheers

Chris

Chilling_Silence
13-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Two things come to mind:
Have you selected the correct locatlities and keyboard layout?
Are you sure the keyboard on the laptop isnt dodgy?

Chill.

csinclair83
13-05-2004, 03:48 PM
1: I wouldnt know how to check that

2: All keys work on laptop execpt spacebar delete and return at times....
sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt but yeah...

I know i could always take it to the shop but wanted to check out pressf1 answers first :)

Graham L
13-05-2004, 04:51 PM
It's broken. :_| You shouldn't have defrosted it with a spoon. ]:)

This is a pretty new laptop, isn't it? Stll under guarantee? If spacebar and return don't work all the time, it's faulty. (I suppose a suspicious minded individual might wonder if you've been pounding them in games :D).

csinclair83
13-05-2004, 05:01 PM
maybe its the withdrawal of games as in mid march i got a old computer from the family for me to have as a gaming machine and yeah this issue has only started 2-3 weeks ago and yeah...
i only use the laptop for the assignments, the internet, and the normal typing stuff....
and yes graphics like websites or psp etc...

and no i dont even eat around the laptop :P
therefor spoons dont come near it ;)

Will Hunt
13-05-2004, 07:28 PM
I had this problem with my laptop, turned out to be the drivers not loaded, maybe that the problem. If you bought it new it should have come with a driver cd.

csinclair83
13-05-2004, 07:52 PM
but if i did a reformat shouldnt that have loaded the correct drivers when installing everything again...

i only got 5 cds with my laptop

recovery 1
recovery 2
recovery 3
recovery 4
recovery 5
and Operationing system disk...

Graham L
14-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Intermittent keys are not a driver problem. The switches are usually not switches ... they are often just a couple of PCB pads which are shorted with a dab of graphite. If the guarantee is still valid, you need a new keyboard.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
14-05-2004, 04:32 PM
> 2: All keys work on laptop execpt spacebar delete and
> return at times....
> sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt but yeah...

So pretty much the three most commonly used keys, wear and tear I'd say.

As previously mentioned, sounds like you need a new keyboard.

csinclair83
14-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Would the warranty/supercover warranty at noel leemings cover this?

as the weather is pretty sh*t around here lately and i dont wanna go there and find its not....as i dont have a car hehe...

Graham L
14-05-2004, 04:49 PM
If the keyboard fails, the warranty should cover it. They might argue if there are obvious signs of abuse. (I suspect that softdrinks/coffee/beer inside would be regarded as abuse).

If you've paid for "supercover", you should get super service. ;-)

Martina
15-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Please don't stop now - I was kinda hoping this would be a sequel to the "Whats Wrong Wif My Fridge" post in October 2003.

Give your landlord another call!!!