PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet connection sharing

jcr1
12-05-2004, 03:31 PM
I have just had Telecoms wireless internet service installed.
Previously I had Ihug satellite service which I shared through a proxy server with my laptop via wireless networking.
The wireless modem that came with the installation does not have a port where I can plug in my wireless access point (RJ 45 I think they are called) and the network port on my computer is used by the wireless modem.
Has anyone any ideas as to how I can get my network up and running again with ICS.
One idea I had was; as I have a spare PCI slot, buy a network card and set it up that way. Does that sound plausible?

Murray P
12-05-2004, 04:26 PM
For ICS yes. It would be much the same as what you would use if you don't have a hub/switch. ie, 2 x NIC's. Get a different brand or model to make identity of the correct card easier for adressing, or do you have XP with it's fancy wizards.

If you want your internet access to be independent of whether the desktop is on or not you'd need to get a gateway/router. Just a thought, I wonder whether a switch would work with your WiFi cards plugged directly into it??

I take it the Telecom access point only has an ethernet connection and not USB (thank goodness) or WiFi.

Cheers Murray P

jcr1
12-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks Murray; <Get a different brand or model to make identity of the correct card easier for adressing, or do you have XP with it's fancy wizards.>
Good advice. I do have XP, but generally I haven't used the wizard when setting up a network as the sat connection wasn't compatible and I had to use a proxy server for ICS.
Telecom Technical support weren't able to help much; but they did say that they've been told that switches or hubs don't work with this device?? (service interface unit - and all very new to them).
It is ethernet , PPPOE is what they told me and very fast and now our phone line is free when the 'net is connected. All in all a step up but it does pose a challenge getting my network to work again.

Murray P
12-05-2004, 06:52 PM
The access point must be a pretty basic device. Does it use NAT, have routing capabilities? sounds like it doesn't.

If you don't mind spending the $20- on a DSE Realtek, give it a whirl. Personally I'd be more inclined to run with a router/gateway to give independence for the clients but, with only two it may not bother you to flick one on to use the other. Plus if the access point doesn't have NAT (or the WiFi equivalent) then it's open to attack. It's dissapointing if Telecom leave you vulnerable. I don't expect them to support your LAN but basic security from the WAN should be in all access products issued by them.

Cheers Murray P

jcr1
13-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Murray, sorry I haven't replied to your post sooner, but I couldn't log in (I see there's been some problems there).
I was told it doesn't have an IP address so if that's so I guess it can't have NAT or routing capability, although my son is rather puzzled about that one as it is connected to my LAN (RJ45) connection on the computer?
Anyway, I'm going to get a NIC from Dick Smiths in the next day or two, they're advertised for $16 up to $38 and $48.
I take your point about Telecom leaving me a bit vulnerable and I'm a bit concerned about this. I'm wondering whether Telecom might have rushed it out.