PDA

View Full Version : removing sound card

popa
12-05-2004, 01:52 PM
hi, i brought a second hand computer which has a audiowerk2 sound card installed. It uses RCA connectors but i only have a cheap pair of stereo speakers. I've plugged the speakers into my on board sound but they are not working.I get this error message...
"You either do not have a sound card installed on your computer or it is not functioning properly. If you do not have a sound card installed, you must install one before you can listen to audio in a digital media file. If you do have a sound card installed, refer to its documentation to troubleshoot the problem."
There was no documentation supplied with the computer for the sound card. I tried removing the sound card so as just to use the on board sound only but still no sound and the same error message appears. I'm using XP home, 2ghz P4,256mb ram,40gb hd.
Any help much appreciated

Graham L
12-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Since you had a card plugged in, the motherboard's sound circuits will have been disabled.

That computer is modern enough that there will almost certainly be a BIOS setting to select the sound functions,rather than a jumper on the board. Look in the BIOS first.

Depending on the make of the computer there are various ways to get into the BIOS setup. You might see a message on the screen just after starting. Try the "Del" key, but some manufacturers use a different keyor keys. When you get in, just explore --- there will be several pages which can be selected. Take your time and read the on-screen instructions. The "Esc" key usually gets out. If you are unsure of what you have done, just "Esc" up to the top level and "Exit without saving".

You can't do any harm. At worst, selecting the "default" settings should get it working again. When you have found and enabled the sound functions, just "Save and Exit".

popa
12-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.I'll try it out now.Cheers

kiwibeat
15-05-2004, 05:23 PM
you could have used rca cables out to a stereo system or ghetto blaster

popa
15-05-2004, 07:14 PM
True.Never thought of that. Ive had no luck in the BIOS (its set on auto and still no sound). and no luck down loading drivers for the onboard sound, so i might try putting the sound card back in and hooking up a stereo as you say. Cheers