PDA

View Full Version : News: TVNZ's new resolution

stu120404
12-05-2004, 10:08 AM
TVNZ's new resolution (http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2902192a28,00.html)

10 May 2004
By RICHARD WOOD

TVNZ's revamped website is bigger than ever. So big, in fact, that it doesn't actually fit on the screens of nearly half of New Zealand's computers.

The broadcaster's decision to make its website 1024x768 pixels in resolution has been endorsed by internet research firm Nielsen NetRatings.

But 44 per cent of computer users have their computer monitors set to 800x600 pixels, meaning they can't see all TVNZ's homepage without scrolling around.

Nielson NetRatings managing director Mark Ottaway says the proportion of computer users who have set their computers to 1024x768 resolution has grown from 34 per cent to 47 per cent during the past year.

The ever-increasing resolution of computer monitors and the gradual replacement of older PCs is driving the shift, but some users may still be choosing to select lower resolutions as it keeps the size of screen items larger.

For Web designers, the larger format provides more positions to run advertising, which is gradually becoming a respectable income-earner for some sites.

TVNZ Interactive sales and marketing manager Sue Brewster says the move is "forward thinking" but based on success with the broadcaster's Rugby World Cup website at that higher resolution.

"The success was huge and we had no complaints about the size," she says.

Ms Brewster says concerns that advertising on the right-hand side of its website would be missed by those with lower screen resolutions proved groundless.

"The click-through rates were higher than some positions in the 800x600 (area)."

She says users are used to scrolling across websites and are not going to think that the content is just "not there".

Mr Ottaway says website operators have to balance the pros and cons and make a call.

A site showing more information might bring in more users and while "skyscraper" advertisements on the right hand side of webpages are currently in vogue, many other advertising formats are used in New Zealand.

Mr Ottaway says the last time a format shift occurred was five years ago when screens were migrating from 640x480 to 800x600 resolution.

At that point web advertising was undeveloped in New Zealand but US web publishers had to grapple with similar issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not surprise me here, TVNZ website designers could ask any website designer out there & that is what they could tell them.

Budda
12-05-2004, 10:29 AM
hey hopefully this will be a good thing as then people wont have to see the ads that they will put on the right hand side lol

KingWave
12-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Whats wrong with a simple auto-detect script?

Chilling_Silence
12-05-2004, 12:27 PM
> Whats wrong with a simple auto-detect script?

Because... That would be too easy ;-) ;\

oggy
12-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Oops. I have my resolution set at the lower level and I didn't even know there were adverts out to the side. Ha Ha. BRILLIANT!
I have tvnz set as my homepage from when it was nzoom.com but now I just click straight thru it without having a look as a part of the page on the left hand side flickers and it's quite annoying. (probably something to do with the resolution.) Perhaps I should change it to pressF1?

hay u
12-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Does the web site say who "ten fingers" is