PDA

View Full Version : Editing a program's text file with WinXP Notepad

pulling hair out
11-05-2004, 04:09 PM
A program I have down loaded allows me to add my own interpretation details to their .txt files using a text editor or std word processor but must save any changes in ASCII format. Program was made using Visual Basic 5.0. What I add must be in one paragraph only, and must start all lines in column 6 and not end each line beyond column 75. I am able to edit Name files and Longitude/latitude files using the program itself. But to edit these .txt files I have to do it externally.

Question - In notepad I can't set the line limit. If I hit ENTER to return will that constitute a paragraph? Or can I do that and just change the first letter of next line from capital to small letter.

If I can't can anyone recommend a free text editor that will accomplish what I want to do. I am totally ignorant of visual basics or any form of programming. Appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Marg.

pippajg
11-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Hi
Have you got wordwrap turned on in notepad? It is under Format .
Not sure if it helps, but just a thought!

Miami Steve
11-05-2004, 04:39 PM
A very good text editor is TextPad (http://www.textpad.com). As well as being able to edit plain text files, it can be used for HTML amongst others.

Cheers
Miami

Graham L
11-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Notepad should do it OK. Just turn off wordwrap, and end each line (before char 75 ;-)) with ENTER. (The ENTER --> paragraph is a word processor thing; Notepad is an editor).

Even a wordprocessor like Word will do but you'ld have to remember to Save As a text file, not a word-processor one and never let Word "convert" to its format..

You shouldn't have problems even without a line limit --- just start your lines in the same column as the existing lines, and never go beyond the existing ones.

Always make a copy of a file (say, as "filename.old") before you change it, in case of accidents.

kiki
11-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Generally programming languages ignore whitespace (spaces,returns, etc). Basically to allow for better readability of code for the programmer thats all. No difference in anything else and it won't stuff up the compiler.

pulling hair out
12-05-2004, 04:35 AM
Thanks Pippajg, Miami Steve, Graeme L and Kiki. Will give all suggestions a go. Getting this problem sorted is going to make such a difference. Spent ages on the net going through any sites that covered visual basics and my mind went really numb. Should have come here in the first place. Have a good week. Bye and thanks again from Marg.