PDA

View Full Version : Internet in a Caravan

Sherilee
08-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Not sure how to word it but I want to connect to Internet in my Caravan via a Laptop - 1. What is the minimum type of Laptop I need. 2. What is the best way of connecting.

I just want to surf and do e-mail - not big flash games.

Appreciate your response.

robsonde
08-05-2004, 12:45 AM
i assume that a regular phone line wont work for you......

the choice of laptop is best made after you decide how to connect to the internet.

any new laptop should be fine with any connection method. the problem will be if you want a second hand laptop.

there are many wireless way to get connected to the internet, one is by cellphone(lots of $$) ??

people on this forum will have many options to put foward.

where in NZ are you ??
will you do driving around much? to outback places?? places with cellphone covrage??

what kind of cost do you expect to pay per hour of conection?

Sherilee
08-05-2004, 12:51 AM
A bit Blank here really?? No telephone connection in the Caravan. Mainly onsite at Coromandel. Not sure on prices per hour. I just want to play around as if I was at home. Connect for half an hour - play some yahoo games - check e-mail - surf. I have a mobile phone. Looking to purchase suitable Laptop and wondering if it is better to work through the mobile or get one of those cards u put in the Laptop.

robsonde
08-05-2004, 12:54 AM
a card in the laptop is most likely the cheepest way to go.

the question is which card...

ring vodafone and ask them about what they can offer.

I know that they can give you a card that goes in a laptop.
telecom can probly do something too.

there might be other options too, we will have to see what other put foward.

robsonde
08-05-2004, 12:56 AM
as for choice of laptop, i would think that if you shop around you will get nice laptop for about $2000

robsonde
08-05-2004, 01:02 AM
well i am posting a lot in this thread........

have a read of this ...

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/business/10.2.1.7_mobile_data.jsp

or from telecom....

http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3900,202435-201930,00.html

this may also be a good read.....

http://www.wirelessforum.co.nz/article.php?sid=409&catid=101

Sherilee
08-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Great - thanks for your interest ond contribution.
I know in a Laptop I want a DVD but not sure about Pentium or Celeron or whatever and don't want to buy one and discover I needed something else to connect in the Caravan (I don't mean the card or phone) sometimes the sellers are off the shelf sellers or via Internet.

Unfortunately sometimes to get the right answers you have to ask the right questions lol and if I knew the questions I would probably be half way to knowing the answers.
I will have a read of those sites - thanks.

Sherilee
08-05-2004, 01:30 AM
This 'Cerino' technology sound interesting.......

Sherilee
08-05-2004, 01:31 AM
'Centrino' I meant

willie_M
08-05-2004, 02:07 AM
You could look at second hand laptops and save some dosh...

somebody
08-05-2004, 08:06 AM
For what you plan to use the laptop for, which type of processor shouldn't have too much of a significant effect on performance.

Most -of-the-shelf- laptops will have all the bits and pieces you need to get it going - a charger, all the software preinstalled, etc. Some laptops come with a carry bag, but in your case it probably won't be necessary.

A good idea would be to go shopping, and tell the salesperson what you want to do with the laptop, see what they recommend, go home and think about it, and if you have further questions, ring the salesperson or ask on here. Don't rush into buying a laptop just because the salesman says it's good, do a bit of comparing around with different stores.

dipstick01
08-05-2004, 09:18 AM
For the type of laptop you need it sounds like all you require is a basic $2000 unit. Cebtrino is great however if you have power readily available when using your machine then save yourself the $$. Centrino is desgined to give laptop users longer battery life, usually up to 4 hours or so. If you do not need long battery life then spend the $$ on other bits for the laptop like the wireless card. Be aware that internet access through wireless/cellular network is NOT cheap so check costs carefully before rushing out and grabbing a card.
Stats for a laptop would be aprox these:
256mb ram
celeron/duron 2.4ghz or higher
30GB Hard Drive
dvd rom/cd writer combo drive
at least 1 pcmica slot (for wireless card)
15" tft display
and then go from there for the extra bits available. Laptops are also not the cheapest to upgrade at a later date so plan for that also.

Check the warranty available also as many laptops manufacturers are downright abysmal when it comes to repairing LCD displays and dead pixels.

Inserting *rant* here

I have just finished fighting with one well known International brand after having a dead pixel at first power up which they refused to repair as their criteria required 5 dead pixels within 5cm before they would do anything. I am just about to start on yet another manufacturer with regards to a known problem with their laptops and heat that they will not repair as the customers laptop is 6 months out of warranty.......they have known about the problem and had a "fix" for their unit available for the last year but say as the customer had no problems up till now then its nothing to do with them.
Personally I am now very wary of the "big" brands and their overseas helplines and no knowledge of New Zealand law, hell its hard enough to get a competent english speaking person on the helpline let alone a repair for anything that is even slightly out of the "norm" but which falls under the Consumer Guarantees Act. The scariest bit is I am the Salesperson and as such I have some avenues available to me that the poor customer does not so I pity the poor customer trying to get problems sorted if their "shop" will not help.

end *rant* here before boredom strikes readers

tech_meister
08-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Start rant here:

Yes I have to admit I have had friends that have bought
so called well known international brand laptops and had nothing but trouble with them and when taken back to the store they didn't want to know about it and even if they did do something they had to send it away for a month or more.
I sell a brand that to me is very well known but to the uninformed probably not so well known (and this company actually build there own laptops, unlike most others)
I have only had one warranty issue with one and it was fixed within a week by the distributor!
Alot of them can come without an OS so you are free to install whatever you want not what they think you should have and all can have a different OS installed if needed.
They even do a Transmeta based laptop which is very small and lite and for $1300 it even comes with a DVD combo drive.

metla
08-05-2004, 10:10 AM
so your talking about Protac,whom are the dristributer for laptops manufactured by ecs/elitegroup/Excell....all three of which are the same group of companies and 90 porcent of gear marked with the excell brand is sourced from elsewhere and rebranded.

Whats the big deal with not mentioning names?

Jen C
08-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Hi Sherilee

>I just want to surf and do e-mail

If you use a mobile phone (whether Telecom or Vodafone) to connect to it the internet, and if you just stick to emailing and net surfing you are looking at a very expensive monthly bill. As an example, if you download 5 emails a day, one with a jpg picture and one with a word document attached, and also view 50 webpages (a view consists of loading a single page) a day, you are looking at $100 - $150 per month - this is based on a downloading 70-110 MB [/b]per month[/b].

I don't know where abouts in Coromandel you are, but a quick look of various areas with the Woosh (wireless internet) ISP, suggest that the service is not yet available in that region. You can confirm this by entering in your address here (http://www.woosh.com/Userinterface/Woosh/Commerce/Availability/Availability.aspx) .

Another option that maybe available is Ihug's satelite coverage - High Speed Satellite internet (http://www.ihug.co.nz/ultra/index.html). You will need some extra hardware including a satellite dish on the caravan roof. If the caravan is not permanently stationed at the current site, then this will not work either, as the dish needs to be calibrated and lined up correctly to receive the signal.

Jen C
08-05-2004, 11:47 AM
> Another option that maybe available is Ihug's
> satelite coverage

Doh! Forget that option - you still need access to a land phone line for that service - sorry :8}

dipstick01
08-05-2004, 04:56 PM
There is always the option to park your caravan near a house and very quietly run an extension cord through to their phone line. Don't forget to practise the innocent "I know nothing" look when they follow the cord to find out why their phone is always engaged lol.

Metla I haven't mentioned names of laptops for a reason. It seems every one here has a definate opinion on various brands and mega/mono/ogopolies and as various visitors cannot seem to accept the fact that different people have different opinions I will not mention Names or Brands.

metla
08-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Ok then,can i ask if the item with the dead pixel and 3 year international warrenty was Asus?

For what its worth i recently returned a $700 dollar lcd screen back to the supplier because it had a dead pixel,rather then return it as defective i sent it back as unwanted stock and asked for a credit.

We are still ....uh....discussing the situation,as it stands i currently have no credit and no lcd.......:(

dipstick01
08-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Nope sorry metla NOT Asus.

Sadly Asus and Acer both seem to have the best international warranty offers in laptops.

I have now switched our shop to custom built units from Arche Technologies as I know they look after their customers and now offer very very competitive units for the $$ and they are very nicely presented units that are also very nicely appointed specification wise.

metla
08-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Sweet, i've been pushing the asus line of laptops....would hate to think i was sending people up a bad road.