PDA

View Full Version : Blank pages - what is going on

Curly
07-05-2004, 07:10 PM
If I open control panel, the page opens but it is totally blank. The bottom left corner of the screen says 27 items. The same applies to the help pages.

Fiddled around but nothing...........

1 Gig Althlon, WinME, 360 odd SDRAM, 40 gig HDD.

Run AVG, Spybot, Agnitum firewall, regcleaner, Adaware, all of which are up to date. Computer seems to be working OK.

Not struck anything like this before ........ :-( Help needed here please!!

tommy
07-05-2004, 10:01 PM
Try doing a System Restore, from Safe Mode if necessary.

Curly
08-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the reply Tommy but sadly it did not work.

the machine came with a recovery disk as well but I have made too many changes to the internals and therefore the recovery is no longer recognised.

Talk about being in deep mire............. :-(

tommy
08-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Try downloading TweakUI (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui) and after installing open TweakUI and select the "Control Panel" menu option. Ensure that all of the options you want are selected then go to the "Repair" menu option, and make sure that "Rebuild Icons" is selected. Hit "Repair Now" and hopefully your missing Control Panel icons should have reappeared.

Elephant
08-05-2004, 09:20 PM
> Thanks for the reply Tommy but sadly it did not
> work.
>
> the machine came with a recovery disk as well but I
> have made too many changes to the internals and
> therefore the recovery is no longer recognised.

I can understand this. Have you documented internal changes in hardware? Do you know what is in your computer in the way of hardware? What hardware have you installed? What did you start with?
>
> Talk about being in deep mire............. :-(

I don't think recovery disks are a good idea. Very useful if you don't change hardware though.

For example:- If you change the hard disk to a bigger one the recovery type disks still think it is the same size and will put the system back the way it was. This may mean your new 40 Gig hard drive behaves like an 8.4Gig drive maybe. Possibly even less like 2.1 Gig. If we go back further then even 540 Meg

You need:-
1. Operating system of your choice.
2. Motherboard drivers dependant on what motherboard you have.
3. Drivers for all other hardware installed like graphic cards, printers, scanners, modems, USB cards, cameras, SATA drives, RAID drivers etc etc.

Curly
10-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the replies people but have decided, at last, that Win ME is just not up to it. Gave us good service for around 3 years though.

Got Win 2000 Pro on its way as we speak - that'll fix it :-)

We have a laptop with Win XP pro on it, it will be interesting to compare op systems. No games on any machines, but Photoshop CS will give both op sys a run for it's money. Wonder which will break first ?