PDA

View Full Version : Can't get DocMem to write a boot floppy!

Billy T
07-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Hi Team

W2K on PIII550 512MB & Intel 440BX MB

I've been suffering from sporadic memory dumps lately, they pop up at random then once finished the computer reboots and all is well. I also had two or three instances where the memory dump occurred during boot. It all started after I did the latest MS updates, but it was a while after that and I'm not sure that the two are connected.

Coupled with this, I have had several incidents of IE6 giving an error message (the one that says it will send a report to MS) after which everything returns to normal so I began to wonder if I had some memory issues.

Last time I had memory dumps it was faulty ram but Memtest didn't find the fault so I decided to try DocMem first, then run Memtest later and compare results. I already have a Memtest bootdisk so I searched for and found a free download for DocMem version 1.45, however the PDF manual said it wasn't any good for W2000 (or rather, it said it was for everything up to Win98 SE/ME) so I passed on that.

Another search found a free download for DocMem V2.0 which is definitely OK for W2K so I downloaded and unzipped, but I can't get it to write to the floppy.

The first DOS window opens OK and offers the choice to write a boot floppy, but when I select that option then hit enter the usual copyright/disclaimer notice appears and that is where it stops. there is no floppy action at all.

V2.0 doesn't appear to be freeware, so I also tried V1.45 in case V2.0 was crippled but got the same result. The program says to inset an unformatted floppy so I tried that first, then a formatted floppy but still no go.

Are there any DocMem users out there who know how to get this program onto a floppy?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

robsonde
07-05-2004, 03:16 PM
if you have a read of the "about this program" it say for win9x and other windows versions wont work.

me thinks you will need a win9x box to make the floppy.

Billy T
07-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Yes, I can wear that, but I shouldn't need W98 to make a boot disk for the W2K version should I?

I'll try though.:D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Murray P
07-05-2004, 04:24 PM
I know you want to check the memory and that's right but, can you give some idea of the error message/BSOD you get Billy? They are not all restricted to memory faults but can be related to other hardware issues or software addressing. The memory dump should leave a reasonable sized MEMORY.DMP log on C;/WINNT/, (size) depending on your ; Control Panel > System > Advanced > Start up and Recovery tab settings.

Any exclamation marks in Device Manager or particular things you are doing/running when it happens. Administrative Tools > System Events can also point to what is going on.

Cheers Murray P

Billy T
07-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Just does it at random I'm afraid Murray. I can be in Word, surfing the net, doing serious research on PF1 :) in any other program or just booting up from cold. Seems like I have a patch of memory that spits the dummy whenever accessed.

I found memory.dmp but can't see how to read the contents, though I did peek inside using Ztree and found scraps of code plus a few blocks filled solely with the word "page". Of course like any dedicate computer nut I completely forgot to write down the error messages. :8} :8} :8}

If it crashes at boot, it restarts and does a disk scan, but if it crashes anytime after booting it just restarts and carries on as if nothing happened. I have only ever seen a memory dump when I had faulty memory stick so I have no idea what else could cause it.

I will do a memory test overnight first, then image this OS installation tomorrow and revert to an earlier image (pre-updates) to see if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
08-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Well, Memtest told me that there was a fault at 484MB (out of 512), and when I checked with just the faulty stick in place, Memtest shifted the fault to 228 MB, meaning there was a hiccup at the 28MB mark.

DSE replaced the stick without question and without any documentary support to verify the sale. This is typical of the good business practices they display on warranty matters: with a 5 year warranty on what is now obsolete technology with their name on it, why argue about replacing it?

Computer is all fixed and going like a rocket again.:D

I noticed another interesting thing with Memtest though, on checking the floppy the computer said it wasn't formatted, yet it booted and ran ok. What sort of boot programming do these memory testers use?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Graham L
08-05-2004, 03:53 PM
You checked it with Windows? It will tell you that an Apple Mac disk isn't formatted too. The memory tester is quite likely to be a a *nix programme on a Linux native disk.

Billy T
08-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks Graham, you mean I've been infiltrated by Linux and didn't know it? I should have guessed when I saw rawrite.exe in the original file list.

I used that (plus other scripts) on a boot floppy to reset the administrator password on my W2K laptop after it got corrupted.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)