PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Defrag on Win XP

RedRocket
05-05-2004, 01:31 PM
I noticed the hard drive light furiously flashing after leaving my laptop inactive for a short period of time. After examining my GoBack log I noticed that Windows XP Pro was performing a defrag in the ‘background’. This does not occur when the laptop is placed in hibernation.
I have always thought that NTFS didn’t really require defragging, especially if the disk is less than 80% full (my HD is only about 60% full).
Is there any way of turning off this automatic defrag?

Jester
05-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Is it in your scheduled tasks?

Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools

RedRocket
05-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the reply, but no it is not in my Scheduled Tasks.

Jester
05-05-2004, 05:43 PM
I have thought more about this and wouldn't have thought it would have defragged in the background as it generally needs nothing running to defrag successfully.

Although your log did show hat a defrag was happening, maybe it was using the idle time to set a restore point?

J
:D

tommy
05-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Your computer could be performing its Indexing Service. If so this may be disabled in Control Panel's Administrative Tools, Services.

RedRocket
06-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Just to update this post with some more information...
After 20 minutes of inactivity the following messages are entered in the GoBack log.

Process Start C:\WINDOWS\System32\defrag.exe –p 31c –s 00000C48 –b C:
Process Start DfrgNtfs.exe –Embedding

In case you didn’t know, the program Go Back is a more comprehensive version of XP’s Restore Points. It enables you to ‘go back’ to a previous time in your PC’s history. It is a great program – maybe that is why Microsoft uses it for its Restore Points feature.
Of course I have turned off XP’s Restore Points.

Thanks for the replies.