- 7200RPM 8MB Cache HDD
- 7200RPM 2MB Cache HDD

I am also buying a new mobo for less than $200
Any recommendations on brand

Thanks

Rob :)

Pete O\'Neil
05-05-2004, 09:03 AM
It might be a good idea to tell us what brand of drives those are, as a Western Digital 7200RPM 8MB Cache HDD will out preform a Seagate Serial ATA150 HDD but a Seagate Serial ATA150 HDD will out preform a Seagate 7200RPM 8MB Cache HDD. Thats not taking into account Maxtor drives which are ATA133, plus there are also other brands such as Samsung and Fujitsu with varying preformance. Generally SATA is faster than PATA though, its just that the Western Digital ATA100 8MB cache drives are very very fast.

Once again it might be a good idea to tell us whether you want a Intel or AMD board?

Rob99
05-05-2004, 02:10 PM
The system will be AMD
No preference on brand of HD etc.

Thanks Rob :)

Pete O\'Neil
05-05-2004, 03:30 PM
hmmm.... theres so many good boards out there for AMD, im assuming you mean socket A. Currently there are two chipset worth considering for Socket A. VIA KT600(the KT800 is just around the corner, but its a bit late to make an impact) and the nForce 2. The nForce2 is best chipset for overclocking, and has great onboard sound whereas the KT600 has superior SATA support and is considerably cheaper.

The only nForce2 boards that fall under $200 are the GigaByte GA-7N400-L and the Soltek SL-75FRN2-L. The gigabyte board has more features but the soltek has developed a reputation as a cheap overclockers board. There is a wider range of KT600 boards in your price range such as the GigaByte GA-7VT600-1394, Soltek SL-KT600-C1, Albatron KX600S Pro.

If you can stretch the budget a lil further you could get Abit NF7-SL which is the same as the Abit NF7-S but without the SATA-PATA convertor. This is widely regarded as one of the best socket A motherboards. You cant go wrong really as long as ou choose a quality manufactuer, stay away from ECS(Elitegroup) PC Chips and FIC.

Generally speaking Serial ATA hardrives are faster than ATA100 drives, the only exception to that rule is the Western Digital JB series. Seagate offer good value for money, I have had no experience with samsung or hitachi. I would probably stick with the top three maxtor, seagate or western digital.